Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Best gelcoat cleaner?

Thanks all.

I have ordered some Starbrite Wash and Wax , also some Y10 stain remover, to kick off.

According to a veteran boat owner in my marina, the black streaks on the boat are apparently due to the narrowboats who have log burners which give off soot. I've no proof of this but it could be right.

For cleaning dirty gelcoat try Silky Cream Cleaner - its very economical too. Also can be used on stainless steel - rinses off without leaving any residue.
    https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/none-si...essory-p133257

Thanks Martyn. I'll see how I go with this first batch of stuff on order.

Quote Originally Posted by peterjaw View Post
    Hi Marine Reflector,

What type of product(s) should I use if my marina is close to a power plant which burns coal?

I would like to:
    1. Clean the black streak.
    2. Prevent or reduce the black stuffs from the power plant.

Thank you very much.
    Hi Peter,

If you dropped some black powder on the surface, it will either wipe off easily or remain on/within the surface.

This is down to the surface condition.
    In fact I do just this when correcting a surface, I wipe a black powder on and what remains tells me how much correction needs to take place.

Compare dropping the powder on a sheet of glass versus a carpet.

The flatter and more uniform the surface is, the easier it would be to remove the powder, so the same can be said of airborne.

The black streaks have to have somewhere to sit in order to become a problem to remove. You can use a cleaner, let's say (black streak remover) and with the right tool (melamine) the streak will be gone, however, that space will soon be occupied.
    The solution is to create a smooth, flat uniform surface and your product of choice for removal will be water.

Tony

Vistal works well and leaves the gelcoat shining, then I use 3m wax to seal it.

Quote Originally Posted by philipm View Post
    Thanks all.

I have ordered some Starbrite Wash and Wax , also some Y10 stain remover, to kick off.

According to a veteran boat owner in my marina, the black streaks on the boat are apparently due to the narrowboats who have log burners which give off soot. I've no proof of this but it could be right.
    For hydrocarbon deposits on GRP from atmospheric washout, in the form of black/grey streaks, I find Autoglym Engine and Machine Cleaner very effective indeed; I guess any suitable detergent formulation (e.g. for traffic film removal) would work well.

Quote Originally Posted by Marine Reflections View Post
    Hi Peter,

If you dropped some black powder on the surface, it will either wipe off easily or remain on/within the surface.

This is down to the surface condition.
    In fact I do just this when correcting a surface, I wipe a black powder on and what remains tells me how much correction needs to take place.

Compare dropping the powder on a sheet of glass versus a carpet.

The flatter and more uniform the surface is, the easier it would be to remove the powder, so the same can be said of airborne.

The black streaks have to have somewhere to sit in order to become a problem to remove. You can use a cleaner, let's say (black streak remover) and with the right tool (melamine) the streak will be gone, however, that space will soon be occupied.
    The solution is to create a smooth, flat uniform surface and your product of choice for removal will be water.

Tony
    Thank you very much, Tony.

I got your points.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12