Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default And another gas thread... Marine regulator, smell of gas

I recently replaced my old dodgy looking regulator with a 'proper' marine one. One of the reasons for this was that there was always a smell of gas in the gas locker.

Now the smell is worse! There is a momentary hiss every time I turn the regulator on, is this gas escaping? Regulator is Camping Gaz screw on type.

Have tried soapy water all over the regulator and on the connection of the flexible hose to the locker fitting, no sign of leaks.

Any thoughts?

- W

Default Re: And another gas thread... Marine regulator, smell of gas

I think the hiss is just the gas from the cylinder pressurising the pipe to the cooker - but I may be wrong.

You're not alone! Also have smelly gas locker with Camping Gaz cylinders. I didn't have the trouble on the previous two boats - both had Calor. I think it's the sealing washer that fits between the regulator and the bottle. I tried replacing this and found an improvement - not a cure - that reverted back to smelly over a few weeks. I console myself with the thought that a tiny amount of gas will give the smell - indeed, I had the gas installation safety inspected for survey a year or two ago.

Check the hose. I've had a gas smell recently and it was the hose that had perished and it hadn't seen sunlight as far as I'm aware. The other thing to check is the washer.

Quote Originally Posted by webcraft View Post
    Now the smell is worse! There is a momentary hiss every time I turn the regulator on, is this gas escaping? Regulator is Camping Gaz screw on type.
    I get that hiss, which I think is just the pipework pressurising. However, I also get gassy smells in the locker from time to time. I think there may be some sort of relief valve in the regulator.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    I get that hiss, which I think is just the pipework pressurising. However, I also get gassy smells in the locker from time to time. I think there may be some sort of relief valve in the regulator.
    A marine ( Annex M) regulator has an overpressure relief valve ........ 75mb ITYWF

If it's any comfort I get the hiss when I turn mine on. Camping gaz too but no gas smell.

I have the same problem, I bought new hose and bought a regulator with a simple press sensor on it (on the cylinder side of the regulator, built-in), My plan is to install it, open gas, close gas and see if the pressure drops

Quote Originally Posted by VicS View Post
    A marine ( Annex M) regulator has an overpressure relief valve ........ 75mb ITYWF
    I use bog-standard caravan ones (despite the innumerable reports of caravans exploding), but perhaps they are similarly equipped.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

I'm not sure about modern regulators, marine or otherwise, but the older Calor ones had a small hole in the top cover so that the pressures inside could be equalized. The hiss was the atmospheric air escaping through the hole as the diaphragm expanded when the gas was turned on.
    Check if there is a small hole anywhere for that purpose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast