Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Is your older raymaine gps still working ?

Hi Iíve got older raymaine rlc70c colour on flybridge and rc520 black white inside boat Iíve heard something about older gps going on the fritz ??? Can anyone let me. Know if anyone has got one these and are they still working ???? My Ariel broke last year and donít want wast the money buying a replacement one if itís not going to work
    Thanks Nick

Default Re: Is your older raymaine gps still working ?

My 2002 rl80crc seemed to be working fine last week
    Free supercharging Tesla referral code http://ts.la/jez9763

OUR SL1250 is going strong, generally it's the gps Ariel that packs up, the internal battery dies, these can be replaced with new, or try a Evermore gps.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Marine-Ever.../dp/B001JDAU4S

I tested mine a few hours ago. I only turned it on and confirmed it had a fix and thought i was in the marina so on the face of it is seems to work.

It is a c120 classic with a Raymarine mushroom of some sort!

Quote Originally Posted by Restoration man View Post
    Know if anyone has got one these and are they still working
    My displays (RL80Cx2 + L1260) are different from the one you mentioned, but of the same "pathfinder" vintage, and they do work as they should.
    But IIRC, the GPS mushroom just sends to the display(s) a plain vanilla NMEA0183 signal, so I suppose that as long as you've got a functioning GPS receiver, the displays should keep working.

Quote Originally Posted by omega2 View Post
    OUR SL1250 is going strong, generally it's the gps Ariel that packs up, the internal battery dies, these can be replaced with new, or try a Evermore gps.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Marine-Ever.../dp/B001JDAU4S

Hi thanks ,i think It is the battery thatís packed up in my Ariel I did try and replace it but the connections to battery were welded on at manufacture ,I tied to solder a new one in but it didnít like it and it never worked , Iím usually quite good at things like this ☹️
    I called ray marine they donít make the original Ariel so you have to buy the newer one that needs a conversion kit to make it work, I might be wrong but is the newer style Ariels mmea output ??? If so this one wonít work without the conversation kit ?? Iíve found a second hand working original one that should go straight on without messing about with the conversation kit,
    but if this new Ariel from amazon will fit without messing with the conversion kit it says mmea output but I canít remember if mmea is the newer style output ?? It would be better if I could use the new Ariel,but donít really want to mess about with the conversation kit , anyone know if this is the case?

Since I wasn't 100% positive about what I previously said, I had a look at the manual.
    If you've got the same Raymarine mushroom as mine, i.e. the Raystar 120, indeed its output is in NMEA0183 format, so also the mushroom linked by Omega2 should work - and probably also many others.
    You might need a bit of customization though, because unless you find a mushroom with the same Raymarine connector, you must cut the old one and solder it to the wires of the new mushroom, but I understand that you are familiar with these jobs.

No idea about what sort of converter Raymarine is trying to sell you.
    Maybe their newer mushrooms have a NMEA2000 or a Seatalk2 output, but now I'm just guessing.

thanks I think you might be correct , Iíve had look in the manual and it does mention mmea so that canít be problem , I think raymaine must have changed there Ariels as the chap was adamant that it wouldnít work without some sort of equally expensive conversion kit ,hence me thinking all new gps Ariels were this new type , neither of my gpsís work and as far as Iím aware both my units are master units , Iím assuming that itís the Ariel as nether unit work . When it did work it was taking longer and to lock onto the Satellites ,

Quote Originally Posted by Restoration man View Post
    as far as I’m aware both my units are master units, I’m assuming that it’s the Ariel as nether unit work.
    Actually, you can only connect the mushroom to one unit at a time anyhow, so if the fault would be in the unit to which the mushroom is connected, you wouldn't get the signal in the other one irrespective of how they are configured, I think.
    I believe it's much more likely that it's the mushroom to be blamed, anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    Actually, you can only connect the mushroom to one unit at a time anyhow, so if the fault would be in the unit to which the mushroom is connected, you wouldn't get the signal in the other one irrespective of how they are configured, I think.
    I believe it's much more likely that it's the mushroom to be blamed, anyhow.

Thanks mapis ,omega and everyone whoís replied so far ,I think Iím going to have a go at buying a new spurious Ariel rather than second hand genuine one ,fingers crossed it will be ok ,hopefully someone on here has done what Iím planning on doing and can confirm,
    Thanks Nick

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast