Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Is your older raymaine gps still working ?

Quote Originally Posted by Restoration man View Post
    Hi thanks ,i think It is the battery thatís packed up in my Ariel I did try and replace it but the connections to battery were welded on at manufacture ,I tied to solder a new one in but it didnít like it and it never worked , Iím usually quite good at things like this ☹️
    I called ray marine they donít make the original Ariel so you have to buy the newer one that needs a conversion kit to make it work, I might be wrong but is the newer style Ariels mmea output ??? If so this one wonít work without the conversation kit ?? Iíve found a second hand working original one that should go straight on without messing about with the conversation kit,
    but if this new Ariel from amazon will fit without messing with the conversion kit it says mmea output but I canít remember if mmea is the newer style output ?? It would be better if I could use the new Ariel,but donít really want to mess about with the conversation kit , anyone know if this is the case?
    You can buy the batteries with fly leads on eBay for about £2. You will not be able to solder to the battery.

Just a few thoughts, I'm going through the same process at the moment.
    If you look on the top of the Raystar antenna it should tell you what type it is, mine was Seatalk. I don't have any of the equipment linked with nmea, just Seatalk and hsb, so I opted for the Digital Yacht bundle of a GPS 150 and an nmea- Seatalk converter so I could just snip the old wiring off and solder in the new ( its spliced into the fly bridge autopilot connectors).
    All great,except it's not working correctly. It puts me 35 miles from my position...how and why I don't know. It says "fix" on the plotter but gives no satellite positions.
    I've emailed them and hope to hear after the easter break.
    The plotter and radar unit I have both accept nmea 0183 which the GPS outputs so I was wondering if I could rig up a temporary connection into either of the units directly from the GPS and would it promulgate the information through the Seatalk- HSB links.....
    Last edited by Nauti Fox; 22-04-19 at 17:14.

Last year I looked everywhere on the net for a replacement battery in the mushroom antenna.

Finally found a company that supplies these just 5 miles from where I live!

Please double check this is the correct model before ordering from this link as I don't have the invoice with me. It could be different but I definitely got the battery that worked from this company.
    https://www.rapidonline.com/trupower...m-cell-18-0461

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marine-GP....c100005.m1851

just found where I got mine from, give them a ring they are very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Falling Star View Post
    Last year I looked everywhere on the net for a replacement battery in the mushroom antenna.

Finally found a company that supplies these just 5 miles from where I live!

Please double check this is the correct model before ordering from this link as I don't have the invoice with me. It could be different but I definitely got the battery that worked from this company.
    https://www.rapidonline.com/trupower...m-cell-18-0461

Wow thatís cheap I think it goto be worth a punt before spending £90

[QUOTE=omega2;6768162]https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marine-GP....c100005.m1851

just found where I got mine from, give them a ring they are

Thanks Iím going to give the battery a try one more time failing that i will call these guys
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Restoration man View Post
    Iíve heard something about older gps going on the fritz ???
    PBO this month, any GPS over 19 years old, might be in a bit of trouble...

Interesting, the boats actual position is
    N51-22-25
    E000-27-60

GPS position.
    N51-22-25
    W000-27-60

So it has somehow transposed E and W?
    Digital Yacht are looking into it.

We experienced the same problem our Raymarine C120 (with a RS-120 GPS, but not sure) which reported us to be somewhere in Oceania... seemed to be 180 degrees displaced.

I tried replacing battery in our GPS as many others had done, but it did not get any better. Replaced with a new Garmin 19x with NMEA0183 communication (comes in two variants, NMEA 0183 and NMEA 2000).
    Installed by cutting the cable for the original Raymarine GPS and used some of the wires to connect, instead of threading a new cable. Only problem was finding a plug for the NMEA 0183 input of the C120, gave that up, and plugged individual pins into the connector and sealed with glue-gun.

Works fine.

Mine has never had nmea fitted, it runs on seatalk (the Raystar was a Seatalk version) and HSB.
    The new GPS is nmea and is connected to a Seatalk converter so I could simply cut and connect as it's a tortuous run to fit new cable but it may be worth a try of just temporarily running a nmea feed to the upper helm RL80C and see if it connects with the system?
    Last edited by Nauti Fox; 25-04-19 at 16:32.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast