Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Elba to Ponza - any advice on stop offs along the way

Planning to journey from Elba to Ponza at end August and was wondering whether best to do the 165nm in one go or is there somewhere pleasant other than Giglio to break the journey. The coastline looks pretty uninteresting to me unless one wants to get off and head into Rome I guess, but if anyone knows of a decent place where it may be worth overnighting if the crew (aka wife) does not fancy a big journey, then would be grateful for thoughts.

Default Re: Elba to Ponza - any advice on stop offs along the way

Well, the Argentario Peninsula is nice, with a choice of marinas either in its N or S side, but that's right in front of Giglio.
    A bit further S, you might overnight at anchor in Giannutri, whose very wide bay is well sheltered from anything but E and SE winds.
    Other than that, the coastline (Rome aside, as you say) is indeed nothing to write home about, till you reach the Pontine Islands.
    San Felice Circeo is the only nice village worth seeing (with its own marina), if you fancy adding a stop to your trip.
    But that's just 20Nm or so N of Ponza, so not exactly well placed to split the journey in two legs.

Thanks MapisM. Confirms what the research indicated. Will probably let weather and crew determine either a long slog or one long/one short (San Felice) or vice versa (Giglio) trip. Good problem to have

U R welcome.
    If you like overnighting at anchor, I'd rather stay in Giannutri than Giglio, though the latter is more lively.
    And the first as I said is not good with E/SE winds, in which case Giglio gives the option of Campese bay, along its W side.
    Don't forget to post pics!

Thanks. I have to figure out how the hell i post pics. Perhaps i am technically illiterate - like to think not totally - but the only time i managed to do it the picture went sideways at which point I threw in the towel. Will try and master again

I'm sure you can.
    Other explanations were already posted in the past, but I'll take the opportunity to show how the Spalmatoi gulf in Giannutri looks like.
    The pic was taken while anchored in front of Cala Spalmatoio, right in front of the village (which is off the right side of the pic).
    The mobos in the background are anchored in the S side of the gulf, called Cala Volo di Notte - i.e. night flight, but don't ask me the etymology...

Back to the point, first of all you should subscribe to an internet photo hosting service.
    There are several free ones, Photobucket being probably the most popular till some time ago they inhibited with a sort of ransom the possibility to hyperlink photos from other websites - which is exactly the use we are talking about.
    Afterward, they sort of backpedalled to some extent, but I stopped using it as a point of principle, and I'm now using Imgbox.
    Which is nothing special really, but more than good enough for my needs.

Once subscribed to your preferred hosting website, you can upload the pics that you would like to share.
    The hyperlink to post them in forums is usually suggested automatically by the website itself, so you can just cut and paste it.
    But the syntax is actually simple, i.e.:
    [IMG]hyperlink to your pic[/IMG]

As an example, the following syntax is what shows the image below as a result:
    [IMG]httpsː//images2.imgbox.com/40/9a/bjIVrQ0C_o.jpg[/IMG]
    Last edited by MapisM; 23-04-19 at 10:57.

I agree with MapisM about the photos.
    It does sound complicated but there are advantages with this approach.
    For example, the hyperlink can be from any photo available on the internet.
    So, here is one from Wikipedia on Elba
    This is the hyperlink that you would enter (cut / paste) into your post.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/80/Elba_Enfola.jpg/240px-Elba_Enfola.jpg

Then "top and tail" the hyperlink with [img] and [/img]

And this is what will be posted.

Let's see if this works....inside of refit Hooligan hopefully

Try again

Quote Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
    Let's see if this works....inside of refit Hooligan hopefully

Right that doesn't seem to work!! Now need to know where to paste the link to the URL from imgbox . I pasted directly into the text but doesnt seem to show up. I am sure this is beyond simple so excuses for being an idiot!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast