Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 278910111213 LastLast

Default Re: Should we be worried about Jeanne Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Holden View Post
    Well, what you can see in the photo at 103 is the missing solar panels, the spare blade on the wind gen( lower right), the missing paddle and bent tube on the Hydrovane , and the radome sitting at a rather jaunty angle.....

What you can't see in that photo is the shredded genoa and the sticky tape on the mainsail leech.....

Apart from that the yacht is indeed in fine condition.....

I would be interested to know what antifoul she uses.....

Congrats to her and full marks for tenacity...
    What's the yacht?

Quote Originally Posted by scotty123 View Post
    What's the yacht?
    A Najad 380, a replacement for her earlier, smaller Najad - all details at https://www.svnereida.com/.

I can but echo what others have said about her achievement, and am very happy indeed for her and the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrozoan View Post
    A Najad 380, a replacement for her earlier, smaller Najad - all details at https://www.svnereida.com/.

I can but echo what others have said about her achievement, and am very happy indeed for her and the outcome.
    Agreed.

Fantastic achievement, well done Jeanne.

Having spent so many years attempting this, wonder what she can find to do next?

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrozoan View Post
    But hang on. Must be fake news. Surely not possible that a medium sized production GRP cruiser, with fin keel, could possibly leave the marina, let alone sail successfully non stop round the world?

I showed the bit on the news to Milady and her response was "Wow, just wow!". My sentiments exactly.

I'm also thinking of all the weeblies - quite a few on here - who would be yelling for the RNLI and their mums should they suffer any one of those inconveniences in the howling watery wastes of the Western Solent....

May I be the first to admit to being a weebly? I hope I wouldn't be depleting the RNLI's coffers for such problems so close to home, but the conditions that caused them might be a bit upsetting to a 50 year old, 24ft Snapdragon with a normal, rather than superhuman 70 year old crew.

What sort of wind would it take to provide Southern Ocean waves off Gurnard Bay?

Last edited by Stemar; 15-09-19 at 09:20.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Quote Originally Posted by Stemar View Post

What sort of wind would it take to provide Southern Ocean waves off Gurnard Bay?

It is an error to assume that one needs 'Southern Ocean storm seas' to effect a capsize or 'knockdown'. Research by the Woolfson Institute/So'ton University has long shown that a breaking sea height of just one-third of a boat's length but taken on the beam is likely to cause a knockdown, while a breaking sea height of two-thirds a boat's length is virtually certain so to do.

A wave height of 60 per cent of the boat’s length capsized all the models they tested. So just to spell this out, a 32-footer would almost certainly be capsized by a breaking wave with a height of as little as 20ft.
    yacht-capsized-breaking-wave

For Stemar's 24-footer, that translates into a wave height of just 8 feet, and 16 feet respectively, and breaking There are plenty of places around our shores where such are frequently to be found..... for example, off Portland Bill, off The Bridge at The Needles Fairway, and Chichester Bar.

And we do need to bear in mind that 'Significant Wave Height' as commonly recorded and reported is a statistical average. Maximum wave heights can and do reach double the SWH, by the very nature of the arithmetic, and in certain circumstances - such as in exposed harbour entrances - even more than that, as the above video illustrates.

This is a problem not only for Southern Ocean racers, but for the rest of us - especially so if we are complacent and cling to the mistaken view that 'it can't happen to me'.

Get a good SW 6-7 and a spring ebb off Hamstead Ledge and I probably wouldn't be far from the waves needed to knock me down. I remember once bashing into similar conditions once and it was great fun - a wild rollercoaster ride, but I had enough engine power to maintain momentum and the waves weren't breaking. Sitting in the cockpit and looking up at the flubber we were towing was quite impressive!

Turn the wind and tide around and try to go the other way under sail, probably tacking through 160 degrees and relying on the tide to make any real progress would have been another matter; a couple of waves ganging up on me could well spoil my day. Fortunately, strong NE winds in the Solent aren't that common.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

We once set off from Chichester for Cowes with a forecast F6 on the nose, snag was it turned into a NW F7 with prolonged 55mph squalls lasting 20 minutes or so - we weren't knocked flat as we let the sheets fly - interestingly she still made slight but steady progress to windward, apparently drive from the airofoil section mast despite the drag of the flogging sails.

Between the forts we got clobbered by a couple of quite big waves ( maybe 10' ) filling the cockpit from over the side, I couldn't round into them in time - the boat was happy even if we weren't.
    Last edited by Seajet; 16-09-19 at 09:21.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Not all home yet, though Randall is officially through the north west passage, still a few miles to go. Another incredible achievement

http://figure8voyage.com/

Got to the dinghy late last night and looked up at this nice 38' cruiser on the ways. Then I noticed the missing self steering and radar dome at a jaunty angle (as someone's already mentioned) - looks like Nereida's on the hard at RVYC just now and ready for some well deserved TLC.
    Last edited by armchairsailor; 16-09-19 at 22:01.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 278910111213 LastLast