Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Default Re: Should we be worried about Jeanne Socrates

Jeanne's right - the Hydrovane's knackered . . .

I think the only sensible course for her now is the course to Adelaide......

I think the only sensible course for her now is the course to Adelaide......
    You guys really don't understand Jeanne at all. This is nothing but a mere inconvenience. You have to remember what she has already been through in her open ocean, singlehanded sailing life. Here are just a few things to wet your appetite:
    Rolling her boat at Cape Horn
    Destroying her boat on the rocks in Mexico
    Falling off her boat onto a parking lot and breaking 8 ribs and her neck
    Sailing half way around the world with her mainsail track bent, so she couldn't raise the main above the 2nd reef point.

And this is what, her 5th attempt at going around. A ripped mainsail and the odd southern ocean storm is nothing to a woman like Jeanne.
    I've actually got her spare mainsail rolled up on my garage. If only I could set it floating down her way.

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Muse View Post
    You guys really don't understand Jeanne at all. This is nothing but a mere inconvenience. You have to remember what she has already been through in her open ocean, singlehanded sailing life. Here are just a few things to wet your appetite:
    Rolling her boat at Cape Horn
    Destroying her boat on the rocks in Mexico
    Falling off her boat onto a parking lot and breaking 8 ribs and her neck
    Sailing half way around the world with her mainsail track bent, so she couldn't raise the main above the 2nd reef point.

And this is what, her 5th attempt at going around. A ripped mainsail and the odd southern ocean storm is nothing to a woman like Jeanne.
    I've actually got her spare mainsail rolled up on my garage. If only I could set it floating down her way.

You guys really don't understand Jeanne at all.
    I don't think some people understand the Southern Ocean... coming into winter....

I think it is called 'pushing one's luck'....

When I met Jeanne in Stanley, F.I., in 2011 she was planning on laying up in Cape Town..... she said at the time
    that she would not consider crossing the south Indian and south of Australia in winter......

In today's report I see she has autopilot problems. I've sent her an email asking if she remembers the bungee cord steering from my singlehanded book. I know she has a copy on board. If she has a bungee cord, she'll have no problems getting home.

How does your bungee cord system work with wheel steering (which I think is what Nereida has)?
    In today's report I see she has autopilot problems. I've sent her an email asking if she remembers the bungee cord steering from my singlehanded book. I know she has a copy on board. If she has a bungee cord, she'll have no problems getting home.

How does your bungee cord system work with wheel steering
    You connect the bungee cord and rope setup to the bottom spoke of the wheel (which moves in the same direction as a tiller). Somewhere in the middle of the spoke is a point where the movement of the wheel is equal to the movement of a tiller. You just connect to that point. Of course you can also use your emergency tiller if your boat has one.

I heard back from Jeanne. She is going to read through that chapter of my book while she is drifting under JSD over the next few hours.

Here is a photo of a fellow who used my methods to cross the Pacific to the South Pacific Islands, after his autopilot quit just a few days from the US west coast.
    Josh Boat.jpg

She will need to get her mainsail fixed to be able to balance the boat to get sheet to tiller to work.
    Monkey patching programmer [retired ]

Looking hopeful that autopilot data problems are now solved. Interesting on her blog how big a part of day to day life ham radio is. Few miles yet to get north again out of the southern Ocean.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast