Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Default Re: Should we be worried about Jeanne Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    Think I agree with Frank; she’s got past the Great Capes, and the idea of 6,500 miles relying on the autopilot and the water maker would not be my idea of fun. Better put in and get everything sorted under her own control than risk having to ask for outside help later.
    Its not just the reliance on electricity... recent posts suggest her batts aren't in real flash condition... and then this yesterday....
    'Just had a major power problem - saw voltage was getting low so started generator - but saw no power going into batteries... When I stopped it, instruments went down - circuit breakers had gone... Couldn't start genset because no power coming in from batteries... Spoke to friend Robert in Sidney, B.C., "Start the main engine," was the advice. Was difficult persuading the engine to start - but it finally did, TG! But then (again) saw no power going in to batteries, although voltage was rising .... too much - clearly not being regulated. Had to stop the engine because battery voltage was way too high - well over 15A (sic). But that meant I could get generator running - ran for two hours... '
    I admire her tenacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Holden View Post
    '
    I admire her tenacity.
    Yes. She faces problems, tackles them, and solves them. There are many 'Armchair Admirals' around here who couldn't do what she does with practical issues such as lack of 'lecky'.

Wind gen fixed... thats good news.
    Very good advertisement for SuperWind that you can change blades so easily.... couldn't do that on my aerogen.
    Zoids... I think you are being a bit hard on Minn... he has sailed with Tilman.... so not quite 'armchair'.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

From the comfort of my armchair, I think the seamanlike thing to do is to put in and get things sorted. She’s done the great capes. Suppose she loses comms? There would be a search. That would be seriously embarrassing.

From the comfort of my armchair, I think the seamanlike thing to do is to put in and get things sorted. She’s done the great capes. Suppose she loses comms? There would be a search. That would be seriously embarrassing.
    I agree with you as I said in an earlier post I feel she has become fixated on a non stop circumnavigation, she has had the opportunity to take shelter, fix the main, sort out her generating problems and generally clean up and secure the boat. It is not as though she has anything to prove or win so why wouldn't you simply stop, anchor in a quiet bay and take stock.

Maybe he was talking about me.............

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Nope; your armchair is a much travelled, much rebuilt, Westerly Sealord somewhere in Patagonia

Looks like Nereida and a ‘Pleasure Craft’ have been fairly close for a while now, unless one is a ‘ghost’ of the other on Marine Traffic - with which I am not really familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrozoan View Post
    Looks like Nereida and a ‘Pleasure Craft’ have been fairly close for a while now, unless one is a ‘ghost’ of the other on Marine Traffic - with which I am not really familiar.
    Not quite a ghost but - yes - both are her or she is both....
    The named one which is now some hours old is her position as received by a shore side AIS 'station' at Dunedin.... she is now out of range of it....
    The un-named 'pleasure craft' is also her ... received by satellite. You can get full details by taking a subscription to Marine Traffic... not sure what a 'single vessel' subscription costs but the full wizzbang one is $10 a day.... I took a 14 day test sub a few years ago.... pretty impressive but the cost is a bit rich for the casual punter like me....

Hot off the press....
    '2:25pm Just spoke to the Commodore, Kevin Murdoch, of the N.Otago Yacht and Powerboat Club in Oamaru Hbr about coming in and picking up a buoy (under sail) in the harbour sometime over the next day or so in order to get my repairs done. I've had to gain permission from both NZ Customs and Quarantine to do so. Has meant quite a lot of phoning around but finally has turned out OK - thanks to all concerned. I just have to get there first - presently almost no wind and difficult to keep a course.'
    Not sure why she can't use her engine....
    NZ is pretty good with stuff like this... three years ago I spent 3 days alongside at Mount Manganui without clearing back in while we fixed stuff.....
    Last edited by Frank Holden; 28-05-19 at 21:52.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast