Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 ... LastLast

Default Re: Should we be worried about Jeanne Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Holden View Post
    Not quite a ghost but - yes - both are her or she is both....
    The named one which is now some hours old is her position as received by a shore side AIS 'station' at Dunedin.... she is now out of range of it....
    The un-named 'pleasure craft' is also her ... received by satellite. You can get full details by taking a subscription to Marine Traffic... not sure what a 'single vessel' subscription costs but the full wizzbang one is $10 a day.... I took a 14 day test sub a few years ago.... pretty impressive but the cost is a bit rich for the casual punter like me....
    I had wondered for a moment if another vessel might have been standing by for some reason, but there was no such indication in Ms Socrates' blog. Thank you for the explanation.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Hot off the press....
    '2:25pm Just spoke to the Commodore, Kevin Murdoch, of the N.Otago Yacht and Powerboat Club in Oamaru Hbr about coming in and picking up a buoy (under sail) in the harbour sometime over the next day or so in order to get my repairs done. I've had to gain permission from both NZ Customs and Quarantine to do so. Has meant quite a lot of phoning around but finally has turned out OK - thanks to all concerned. I just have to get there first - presently almost no wind and difficult to keep a course.'
    Not sure why she can't use her engine....
    NZ is pretty good with stuff like this... three years ago I spent 3 days alongside at Mount Manganui without clearing back in while we fixed stuff.....
    That’s certainly the seamanlike thing to do. Maybe engine has lost interest in starting?

Just coming up to sunrise and she is about 3 miles off the entrance to Timaru, weather looks ok for the next few hours.. https://www.weather-forecast.com/loc...recasts/latest
    Minn, I see two CNco ships in port... where is your pup?

Pup is here at the mo., busy telling me that his MCA GMDSS ticket allows him to play with your ICOM 718, which I don’t think it does...

Zoids... I think you are being a bit hard on Minn... he has sailed with Tilman.... so not quite 'armchair'.
    RONG!

There are plenty of fully-qualified 'Armchair Admirals' lurking on this and adjacent sites, and I certainly don't mean to include 'Minn' and 'Holden', both of whom have earned their stripes.
    However, surely we can still take a different slant on something going on far, far away without it necessarily becoming personal? Surely one of the benefits of hearabouts is that we can exchange our different 'takes' on things and consider them, without that descending into something lesser?

'Play the ball, not the man'....?

Meanwhile, Ms Socrates continues her masterclass in long-distance blue (grey ) water seamanship.....

As I write this she is just off Timaru [ 1 mile ] with a pilot boat to show her the way. in.
    Monkey patching programmer [retired ]

Looks like she is on a mooring and I guess will be catching up on sleep.
    Monkey patching programmer [retired ]

OK. I am now not worrying about Jeanne Socrates.

Dunno about that... mainsail sounds well beyond its 'best before'...
    'As we were sailing up the channel, before increasing sail in the ever-lessening wind, to my disbelief, the port side lazyjack broke and the stowed sail fell down to the deck unhelpfully - yet another job suddenly added to the list while here. That meant that, when dropped, the mainsail ended up all over the deck, making it that much more of an effort to tie it all to the boom later. In doing that, I noticed that where the sail was torn in a few places, the tears had increased - more work to do while here.'

That doesn’t sound like stitching going. Time for a new one. DAMHIKT.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 ... LastLast