Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best way to enlarge the loudspeaker cut out in the cockpit locker

I am trying to replace my defund loudspeakers in the cockpit. The present cut out is 110mm and it needs enlarging to 135mm. It is fairly thick GRP and I am wondering the best way to go about it. Jigsaw? type of blade?
    I have searched in vain for a direct size replacement without success. Any help would be most appreciated.

Default Re: Best way to enlarge the loudspeaker cut out in the cockpit locker

Jigsaw would do it.
    A flap wheel is another option. Good for finishing off.

Equally, drill, pad saw, files, sandpaper might get the job done quicker than fetching the optimum tool.

Quote Originally Posted by sealegsjim View Post
    I have searched in vain for a direct size replacement without success. Any help would be most appreciated.
    Fusion 4" speakers would fit - https://www.fusionentertainment.com/...kers/xs-f40cwb or https://www.fusionentertainment.com/...kers/ms-fr4021
    Last edited by pvb; 22-04-19 at 15:57.

A router, if you have one, and a template gives a neat finish.
    'To lay the foundations of an ever closer union among the peoples of Europe' (EC Treaty)

The 4inch Fusion speakers would be no good as the original speakers were 6.5inch

One way would be to use one 110mm holesaw inside another of 135mm - if these are readily available to you. The smaller one acts as a guide for the larger.

Another way is to mark the desired 135mm circumference exactly, then use a jigsaw with a suitable blade to cut out close but not exactly to your lines. Finish off with a carbide flap-drum on your power drill, used carefully and slowly.

PPE is essential - a hooded overall, suitable-grade respirator mask, goggles, gloves- and barrier creme on hands, wrists, neck, face...... ask me how I know!

When I had to do a similar job I drilled lots and lots of 4mm holes just inside the final desired edge, knocked the spare ring out with a small hammer and then tidied up with a flap wheel. Drilling the holes is a little tedious, but you'll only need 80 or so.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

I have just done this on old speaker holes, except to fit access ports (I use portable wireless / USB speakers now). I tried one of these bastard files on a drill bit but it was not very good. I also tried sandpaper on an arbor and it was too slow as well. I ended up using my jig saw with a blunt blade. It took less than 5 minutes per hole and was easy to steer but required a lot of force, so use a new, high TPI blade and it will be a doddle with a jig saw. I guess I removed a 5mm wide ring about 6-8 mm thick.
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

Last time I did something similar, there wasn't space to use the jigsaw all the way around. It was actually a drum sander I finished off with.
    This kind of thing:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Drum-Sand...QAAOSw87JcTaj6

I've got one of those hole cutters for a drill, two hardened ppoints on an adjustable bar. You'd need to put in something temporary as a centre, but it would work.
    As would a junior hacksaw of the type where the blade can be set 90 degrees to the frame.
    If you want to avoid getting on with the job, there are no end of tools you can spend time looking for or buying while you could be doing the job with whatever is to hand.
    I'm sure I really need to buy a 40W cutting laser...

If you've got 200 of them to do, it pays to have the optimal tool...

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    PPE is essential - a hooded overall, suitable-grade respirator mask, goggles, gloves- and barrier creme on hands, wrists, neck, face...... ask me how I know!
    I also use a vacuum cleaner to collect the dust as I cut. I now have an extra long hose so that if working inside the cleaner is outside in case dust gets through the filter bag.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast