Default Fairline anchor replacement

Hi there,

Our current anchor's fluke is a bit bent after dropping behind a rock and reversing to set it - without realising that the current was already moving us backwards at several knots. It was a galvanised Danforth-type and, where it bent, the coating has all but flaked off.

Considering past anchor threads, I'd like to buy something from a reputable brand and/or source. Not a cheap chinese copy but, ideally, not a massively expensive one - unless it's polished stainless and comes with 80m of chain as well.

Two questions:

1) Is there a standard for anchors that are accepted by insurance?

2) What anchor was supplied as standard with Fairline Phantoms of 2002 vintage? As above, appears to be a 20kg Danforth-type, but not sure which make. Replacing it with the same, might be easiest.

Ideally, would like to stick with a Danforth-type since we've never had any issues and we know it fits on the bow.

Any assistance with one / both the above would be appreciated.

Default Re: Fairline anchor replacement

Could put a genuine Danforth on. http://www.danforthanchors.com/hitensile.html .
    Being a raggy, I got the impression that boat manufacturers sometimes just put on any anchor. I did have a genuine Danforth, but after bending it last year I have gone down the Rocna route, and for my boat it does seem to hold a lot quicker plus digging in well. I'm not aware of insurance having an anchor standard but suspect that they would not be happy with stone and string!

Did the old anchor cause problems / drag?

If not like for like replacement ?

There are many anchor views and as I understand it to some extent these depend on the type of seabed local to you.

If I can figure out what the original was, I'd like to do like for like - hence asking what it would have been from factory, perhaps the Fairline fans can help. I cannot see any name on the anchor though, only 20kg weight. It has worked perfectly for us and no desire to change and take risk of it not fitting well etc.

The original Danforth on the website above seems to have a thinner shank which means it might go under the roller meant to stop it once pulled up / into stowage position.

Maybe post a photo of the one you have so that people can guess/tell you which manufacturer and model it is ??

I've not known Fairline to fit anything other than a Delta but stand to be corrected. And I've never known Fairline (or Princess / Sunseeker) to EVER fit an anchor correctly sized for the boat on which they've put it; they always undersize them in my experience! Personally I like Deltas though specced a Rocna on my current Fairline and it's worked very well (though I'm not convinced it's any better than the Delta I had on my last Fairline).

Just in terms of the size issue - my last boat (Squadron 58) came with a 25kg Delta which I changed for a 40kg and my current boat (Squadron 65) came with a 35kg Delta (I think) which I changed for a Rocna 55kg. From memory I didn't need to do much, if anything, to modify the bow roller in either case...