Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I know this is the mobo forum, but...

...I'm also aware that some of you folks have a fair bit of sailing competence as well.
    And if I would post this in a more appropriate forum, I'd probably forget to check the replies!

So, here goes: I'd be curious to hear the rationale behind the rather peculiar rigging of this sailboat I came across today.
    Goes without saying that those who see nothing unusual can refrain to answer!

Default Re: I know this is the mobo forum, but...

I don't really know the terminology, typically sail boats have some cross members along the mast with all sorts of cables to pre-stress and keep the thing straight.
    Now these guys have gone a bit wild on the torsional stress dept, and I guess this thing will be able to fly with strong winds and big sail...
    However, this thing cannot moor stern to unless it gets a couple of extra spots
    I'd hope that they can retract them somehow when not needed (and still have the other cables keeping the mast up)

Engineering wise, it looks good, v.good not sure how it does perform though.

V.

I spent a day sailing one in Lanzarote around 5 years ago. Incredible boats but a huge amount of work to sail them probably and these boats are designed to be sailed singlehanded.
    Basically, the boats (Open 60’s or IMOCA 60’s) use rotating wing masts. The mast rotates depending on the angle of the main sail to the wind. This greatly reduces drag. The rigging is quite complex but the deck spreaders allow less rigging to be used to support the mast. They don’t use wire on these any more as it’s too heavy so they use stuff called PBO.
    More information here http://joecoopersailing.com/category...iling/rigging/

I concur. looks like an old IMOCA 60, new ones have foils. Fast boats.

Second thoughts it could be smaller than a 60, it has dagger boards also.
    Last edited by MrB; 23-04-19 at 00:04.

Thats Jean Le Cam's IMOCA 60 and yes a deck stepped rotating rig / wing mast hence the deck spreaders. The rule is something like a maximum mast height of 29 meters above waterline.

and over 1000 miles no mobo would keep up....

Thanks folks, I rarely follow sailboat racing and I wasn't completely unaware of this IMOCA stuff.
    I googled a bit for it, impressive machines indeed.
    We moboers tend to think that our babies are technically challenging, but I have a funny feeling that their design complexity is actually moderate, when compared to sailboats like these...

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    Thanks folks, I rarely follow sailboat racing and I wasn't completely unaware of this IMOCA stuff.
    I googled a bit for it, impressive machines indeed.
    We moboers tend to think that our babies are technically challenging, but I have a funny feeling that their design complexity is actually moderate, when compared to sailboats like these...
    Take a look at Alex Thomson's IMOCA60 "Hugo Boss", it's off the scale. Even Porto's Itama wouldn't keep up with it. https://www.alexthomsonracing.com/the-boat/

Blimey, that thing is off the scale indeed.
    The video below is mind blowing: I don't know if she's more impressive when almost flying over the waves or when the bow goes submarine and she keeps going as a freight train.
    I honestly think that keeping up with her would be a challenge even for specialized fast SAR boats, let alone sedate Itamas... Respect!

indeed very impressive !!!

talking again about mobo's,
    what was the blue hull boat in the background of your picture ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast