Default Berwick - Tweed Dock Pontoon

I was told earlier today that there is a new pontoon in the Tweed Dock with a walk ashore and electricity.
    Has anyone on the forum used it ? Does it dry ?
    Any information appreciated
    Do everyone a favour - Smile !

Default Re: Berwick - Tweed Dock Pontoon

Quote Originally Posted by Halo View Post
    I was told earlier today that there is a new pontoon in the Tweed Dock with a walk ashore and electricity.
    Has anyone on the forum used it ? Does it dry ?
    Any information appreciated
    Come on someone must know all about it!!
    I used to live in Tweedmouth as a child & would love to sail there for old times sake.
    I am sure it must dry as I used to catch podlers in about 2.5ft of water in the harbour 65 years ago
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Alness / Loch Ness Northern Scottish Highlands.

This link, found by the power of google, suggests it is now in plce https://swpeng.co.uk/case-study/tweed-dock-pontoon/

The link says it is to encourage cruise ships to visit, I am not sure what that means unless it is for pilot boat use not yotties?

Quote Originally Posted by ProDave View Post
    The link says it is to encourage cruise ships to visit, I am not sure what that means unless it is for pilot boat use not yotties?
    There is a geet big pontoon at Tobermory for cruise ship tenders, so perhaps that's the aim of the Berwick one?
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Encouraged by ProDave's link I visited the dock on my way south down the A1 today. There is a nice new pontoon there and the friendly staff said it is fine for visiting yachts to use it - just phone in advance to check conditions on the bar. Charge is 17 per night for all loa and there is electricity at 16 and 32 amp rating. Yachts may touch bottom at low tide - bottom is soft mud. It is a short walk over the (very) old bridge into the town. Looks like an option for visiting Holy island and the Farnes without bouncing around at anchor all night.
    Do everyone a favour - Smile !

There is an interesting history of the dock at http://www.berwickfriends.org.uk/his...he-tweed-dock/

Here's what was there before (OS 6-inch 1860)

and here's how they fitted the dock in (OS 6-inch, 1897)

"Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Interesting, I could be tempted to add a visit there to this summer’s cruise plans.