Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default No power to battery breaker panel

Was out in the boat today, came back to the berth and commenced the usual preparation before leaving the boat. This included turning off all six breaker switches as per usual and then turning off the on / off key in the breaker switch panel. (the six switches control domestic power, negative, 2 x engines, and bow thruster).

Then my daughter said she wanted to use the loo so we went to turn on the switches again and the whole panel was dead. No green or red LEDs. No change when the on / off key switch was turned.

What have I done??! Any ideas welcome.

Default Re: No power to battery breaker panel

Can you measure voltage on the output side of the main On Off switch with the switch in the On position?
    If its this type of switch, this is where i would start looking?
    Ive had two fail on me when switched to the On position.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Qiorange-Ba...-1-spons&psc=1

Here is a photo of the panel. You can see the isolator key in the bottom left and the six switches below. Not sure how I could replace the key lock on its own if that is the problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ok, not familiar with that set up. I suspect the key energises some sort of solenoid somewhere between the battery bank and the breaker panel but thats just a guess.
    Someone will know on this forum, whats the boat?

It's a Jeanneau Leader 9 (can't work out how to put that under my signature on this forum).

Quote Originally Posted by philipm View Post
    Here is a photo of the panel. You can see the isolator key in the bottom left and the six switches below. Not sure how I could replace the key lock on its own if that is the problem.
    assuming its the key switch, they should be straightforward to replace.
    big nut on the front ? undo that and it will fall off back into the panel.
    do you have a multimeter ? easy to check if it is indeed the key switch or relay.

I donít know the boat but given none of it works you are looking for a single point of failure.

The likely candidates would probably be the key switch , the solenoid it operates or some other high current fuse/ breaker that protects the system.

Have you tried turning the charger on? The batteries could be dead ( not that likely but i have had it decades ago on a car) and it will also increase the voltage which may persuade an on the way out solenoid to operate.

Finally what do the manual say. You may not know the location of the protection fuse / breaker.

Quote Originally Posted by jrudge View Post
    I don’t know the boat but given none of it works you are looking for a single point of failure.

The likely candidates would probably be the key switch , the solenoid it operates or some other high current fuse/ breaker that protects the system.

Have you tried turning the charger on? The batteries could be dead ( not that likely but i have had it decades ago on a car) and it will also increase the voltage which may persuade an on the way out solenoid to operate.

Finally what do the manual say. You may not know the location of the protection fuse / breaker.
    Whilst looking at the fuse box at the back of the aft cabin I saw a switch which said something along the lines of "Battery Breaker" and was switched to "on". With hindsight I am wondering what the purpose of that switch was (there's already breaker switches on the panel photographed above?!) and whether in fact I should have switched it to "off"?

Quote Originally Posted by simonfraser View Post
    assuming its the key switch, they should be straightforward to replace.
    big nut on the front ? undo that and it will fall off back into the panel.
    do you have a multimeter ? easy to check if it is indeed the key switch or relay.
    I bought a multimeter recently because I have had occasional car battery issues over the years but admittedly I have not used it yet so wouldn't know what to attach to what and what setting on the multimeter dial to set. I might be able to teach myself though!

Quote Originally Posted by philipm View Post
    I bought a multimeter recently because I have had occasional car battery issues over the years but admittedly I have not used it yet so wouldn't know what to attach to what and what setting on the multimeter dial to set. I might be able to teach myself though!
    info on you tube

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast