Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: No power to battery breaker panel

Quote Originally Posted by philipm View Post
    I bought a multimeter recently because I have had occasional car battery issues over the years but admittedly I have not used it yet so wouldn't know what to attach to what and what setting on the multimeter dial to set. I might be able to teach myself though!
    Jeanneau were in to electronic remote switching, so may be more complicated, have you a photo of the back of the panel or bulkhead ?

First job is what do you have?, what is the connection to the panel? and where does it go ? what does it connect to?

Brian
    Kddpowercentre VASR charge

Thanks Brian.

I'm 75 mins from the boat unfortunately so I'll take a look when I am down there and report back.

We were packing up on Monday when the malfunction happened so I didn't have time to examine it in detail.

Okay made some progress on this yesterday.

I got the 12v circuit working easily by pressing the battery switches in the grandly named "technical room". According to the manual which is badly translated from French, these switches are there for use in an emergency in case there is an electrical problem.

This got the fridge , water pump, engines etc working so the only thing NOT working is the breaker panel. I then spotted a fuse on the 12V circuit which is not located with all the other fuses and have deduced that this could be the problem however if this is the problem then why am I able to get all fridge etc working?? Maybe this fuse is just for the battery breaker panel?

It is a large fuse screwed to the wall in an awkward position. At this point I got nervous about whether I would give myself an electric shock by trying to test it with the multimeter or by trying to remove it.

Any idea what I need to disconnect to safely work on the system - all four batteries? Does my theory sound correct that this fuse could be the problem or is the problem closer to the breaker panel itself eg the key which I turn to turn the breaker panel on / off? You can see the fuse here - it's the small black plastic box between and to the left of the two large black boxes

Battery breakers 2.jpg
    Last edited by philipm; 01-05-19 at 04:45.

Quote Originally Posted by simonfraser View Post
    assuming its the key switch, they should be straightforward to replace.
    big nut on the front ? undo that and it will fall off back into the panel.
    do you have a multimeter ? easy to check if it is indeed the key switch or relay.
    I undid the panel yesterday and had a look. Yes there is a large nut on the key switch so it could be changed. I had my multimeter with me but couldn't see what to do to test the key switch - I am a multimeter novice and couldn't find anything relevant on YouTube. Any tips appreciated.

Based on my other investigations (see above) I think the problem is somewhere between this panel (eg the key switch) and the general fuse for the 12v circuit.

My honest suggestion would be to get someone to fix it.

You are very unlikely to get electrocuted but shorting high current batter leads can lead to arking which is hazardous , but more importantly damage to what you are trying to fix.

A multi meter measures volts, current ( amps ) and resistance ( ohms). To fault find you will need to understand at least volts and resistance / ohms. Don’t try and measure resistance on a live circuit as you will fry the multi meter or it’s fuse.

Re the key switch the resistance Will fall to zero if it is on and infinite if off. You will need to remove the connectors to get a reliable reading from the switch but as a minimum the circuit must be off.

Same with fuse / breaker you found.

As to how the emergency power works why not call a dealer and ask ?

testing the key switch you may be able to remove the wires from it, take a pic b4 you do that.
    and then test the switch with the multimeter. as said b4 watch a youtube vid or two to see how to do that.
    if you isolate the power from the circuit you are not going to kill yourself.
    there should be a battery isolator switch which should stop any power from the batteries going to the boat / fuse board.

Thanks both.

There is a battery isolation switch which is switched to "on". Should it be on or off when the boat is in normal use? I would have thought it should be off...…."so why is it on?" I am asking myself.

I established there is continuity in the key switch yesterday because I disconnected the wires and attached my multimeter to the back of the key switch. However I didn't check resistance. I haven't found a YouTube vid for testing a switch unfortunately.

An engineer is looking at it today so we'll see what comes, other than an invoice.

if the battery isolator is off the batteries are disconnected and nothing will work.

Just to complete this thread, the engineer had a look at it and it turns out there was a corroded terminal (location not yet confirmed) and the main 12v fuse had indeed blown. Apparently all working now.

Thanks all.

Thanks for replying and, practice with your multi while it works start at batteries then follow wires and keep checking ,you could also take note for next time

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12