Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default When to check in

We are planning to sail direct from Montenegro to Corfu. It’s an overnight trip and I was wondering “if” we need to have a stop for any unforeseen events do we need to check in to Albania if we don’t go ashore and just anchor off in a quiet spot?
    Not entirely sure of the regulations on that.

Default Re: When to check in

I believe that when you put your hook down in territorial waters you "enter" the country. Someone may be along soon to correct me. Not that you are necessarily going to be caught.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy52 View Post
    I believe that when you put your hook down in territorial waters you "enter" the country. Someone may be along soon to correct me. Not that you are necessarily going to be caught.
    I doubt anyone's going to correct you
    Innocent passage ends when you anchor or moor. In the words of the relevant law, to qualify as innocent, "passage shall be continuous and expeditious".

Sometimes I'm amazed by the naivety (or is it casual entitlement?) of questions such as this. The OP would be in the same position as a boat-full of, say, Syrians, dropping the hook off Herne Bay.

Rant over, this is from Noonsite, dated April 2018:
    "You may be approached by an Italian coastguard vessel when nearing the coast, as they patrol this area of the sea. If close to Albanian territorial waters, Channel 11 should be monitored as it is the working channel used by the Albanian Coast Guard.
    We have had reports from cruisers who have had to anchor overnight (for various reasons) in bays in Albania on that passage, and other than having their papers checked by the authorities, were left alone as long as they didn't go ashore (of course experiences vary and others have been made to check in at the closest port of entry).
    Get familiar with the entry procedures for Albania here on noonsite before doing the passage should you need to stop for any reason. Most ports require you use an agent so do your homework in advance and you shouldn't have any problems."
    Last edited by macd; 23-04-19 at 10:10.
    All epigrams are false

Could you just raise a Q flag on the starboard spreader to indicate that you have not yet checked in?

Quote Originally Posted by macd View Post
    I doubt anyone's going to correct you
    Innocent passage ends when you anchor or moor. In the words of the relevant law, to qualify as innocent, "passage shall be continuous and expeditious".

Sometimes I'm amazed by the naivety (or is it casual entitlement?) of questions such as this. The OP would be in the same position as a boat-full of, say, Syrians, dropping the hook off Herne Bay.
    I am neither naive nor do I feel ‘casually entitled’ to do as I please. I am ignorant of some facts. My post was attempting to enlighten my lack of knowledge from those with more experience.
    A more helpful, and less insulting, response would be to provide some information so I am less ignorant of the facts rather than comparing my position to a boat-full of Syrians droppings hook of Herne Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy52 View Post
    Thank you. It would only be for an unexpected event. Emergency repairs for example so no intention of going ashore. I suspect the ‘q’ flag would mitigate to some extent.

You are going to be hard pushed to find anywhere to just drop the hook along the Albanian coast!
    I know people have done it in extremis and the local police/army/navy came along and although the weather was bad it was difficult to try and persuade them otherwise. Try and visit Sarande before going in to Corfu though. It's a great place to visit.

Quote Originally Posted by One A. View Post
    Could you just raise a Q flag on the starboard spreader to indicate that you have not yet checked in?
    Good point.

There are several options for checking in along the coast so I doubt that the situation will arise.

Quote Originally Posted by blxm View Post
    We are planning to sail direct from Montenegro to Corfu. It’s an overnight trip and I was wondering “if” we need to have a stop for any unforeseen events do we need to check in to Albania if we don’t go ashore and just anchor off in a quiet spot?
    Not entirely sure of the regulations on that.
    It's an enjoyable trip with plenty of dolphins to keep you entertained .... but watch out for the large Albanian fishing vessels in the middle of the night.

The fact is that if you did have to venture into shallower waters to anchor for a while, you will not be anywhere near a customs/PP office anyway so clearing in would be impossible. Most of that coastline looks uninhabited to me so I think that there is little chance of a visit from any marine officials. If there were, you would just have to be friendly and blag it.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Caladh View Post
    You are going to be hard pushed to find anywhere to just drop the hook along the Albanian coast!
    I know people have done it in extremis and the local police/army/navy came along and although the weather was bad it was difficult to try and persuade them otherwise. Try and visit Sarande before going in to Corfu though. It's a great place to visit.
    I’ll add it to the wish list. We are now thinking we will take a bit more time and go to a few places in Albania. Not in any particular hurry.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast