Default Merry Fisher 805 Questions

Hi Everyone. I have just purchased my first boat which is a 2004 Merry Fisher 805 which I purchased after reading many positive comments on here over many months of research. Now I have the boat and am learning quickly as to how to make it work for us, I have a few questions I am hoping someone can answer?

The latch on the inside of the sliding cockpit door cannot be secured in the closed position. When I collected the boat and at sea the door kept sliding open, in the end I had to secure it in the open position. Should there be a female block in the sliding door channel in the closed position to accept the bolt, as I do not have this?

As I have the boat located on a swinging mooring, I need to bring down overall power consumption to give us more time between switching on the engine to charge batteries. One job I can see is worth doing is changing the cabins and deck lights to led. Are there direct led replacement bulbs for the standard ones fitted and if so what type of fitting do I need to purchase?

I am going to install solar panels onto the bathing deck above the cockpit which has lots of space, would it be recommended to use rigid panels on there or would the flexible ones be more suitable?

I want to install a battery monitor and from reading on here, I have seen the Victron Bmv range is highly recommended. My domestic bank is 2 110a batteries in parallel, would these monitors work well with that setup? I am not concerned with starter battery monitoring, unless I am missing something?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Default Re: Merry Fisher 805 Questions

We got our LEDs from Bedazled
    Avoid the cheap ones out there as they are cheap for a reason
    See the rainbow not the rain

Quote Originally Posted by Sneds View Post
    We got our LEDs from Bedazled
    Avoid the cheap ones out there as they are cheap for a reason
    Just to offer a contrary view. I installed lots of cheap ones a few years back (probably four or five) thinking they would be rubbish and would not last. Not a single one has failed. Most were 99p each
    If found in the Brexit forum, please return to the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducati853 View Post

The latch on the inside of the sliding cockpit door cannot be secured in the closed position. When I collected the boat and at sea the door kept sliding open, in the end I had to secure it in the open position. Should there be a female block in the sliding door channel in the closed position to accept the bolt, as I do not have this?
    Congratulations on your ownership of an 805. A great boat and we enjoyed ours immensely.

Yes, the sliding door is annoying, and dangerous too. I don't know if Jeanneau supply a part for this but you can easily make one.

Simply measure the channel dimensions then find some perspex or similar (I don't recommend wood for this) to fit inside the channel and around 25cm long.

Drill several holes a couple of mm larger than the bolt of the latch. Spread the holes along the 25cm length to give a choice of "open" gaps.

Epoxy the perspex in position and check operation before allowing it to set.

Thank you for the heads up, I do not mind paying for quality products if they are worth the extra. Would you know the fitment that is typical for most boats cabin flush lights?

Quote Originally Posted by Falling Star View Post
    Congratulations on your ownership of an 805. A great boat and we enjoyed ours immensely.

Yes, the sliding door is annoying, and dangerous too. I don't know if Jeanneau supply a part for this but you can easily make one.

Simply measure the channel dimensions then find some perspex or similar (I don't recommend wood for this) to fit inside the channel and around 25cm long.

Drill several holes a couple of mm larger than the bolt of the latch. Spread the holes along the 25cm length to give a choice of "open" gaps.

Epoxy the perspex in position and check operation before allowing it to set.
    Thank you very much, the MF805 does appear to tick all boxes right now.

Oh, so there is not a missing part in my sliding channel then, that's a relief! Thank you for the instructions, it should be relatively easy to manufacture a part as you have described, it will certainly be nice to be able to secure the door when underway and also be able to lock the door when moored and asleep in a marina etc.

Quote Originally Posted by CLB View Post
    Just to offer a contrary view. I installed lots of cheap ones a few years back (probably four or five) thinking they would be rubbish and would not last. Not a single one has failed. Most were 99p each
    Yep, same for me
    Swapped all my on board lights for LED's which i got from Home Bargains. 1.99 each and not one has failed in the three years they have been installed. Plenty bright enough too :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar24 View Post
    Yep, same for me
    Swapped all my on board lights for LED's which i got from Home Bargains. 1.99 each and not one has failed in the three years they have been installed. Plenty bright enough too :-)
    +1

I got cheap load from china through ebay, bought double as so cheap & I assumed they may not last long due to the cost, but every one worked and in 5yrs not one has failed..seem to recall due to quantity I bought they were like 23p each