Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Kent, England
    Posts
    57

    Default Roller reefing and easy jacks on a Squib

    Hi
    I have just taken ownership of a Squib and wondered if there was a more convenient way to hoist and drop the mainsail and jib. Can roller reefing and easy jacks be considered for this type of vessel?
    If not, any other ideas along those lines?

    Many thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    S.W. France
    Posts
    7,357

    Default Re: Roller reefing and easy jacks on a Squib

    Assuming a hanked on jib, running a line up inside the hanks to the head and lead aft from the bow fitting, can be useful to pull the sail down quickly, then deal with it later. Lazyjacks are an easy fit and kits can be had from, e.g. Jimmy Green for not much.
    No reason why roller reefing, or just furling (cheaper) could be fitted. The latter is quite common on dinghys.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
    Posts
    8,588

    Default Re: Roller reefing and easy jacks on a Squib

    Ha! My teenage sonís Squib, used for cruising with a tent over the boom, but also for day sails at short notice, has just acquired a Plastimo roller reefing gear for the jib, in fact we fitted it on Easter Saturday. It replaced a simple roller furling gear which was nothing like as good because we could never get the jib luff straight enough. Dylan Winter has a good video on fitting this. With the Squib you will have one whole foil section left over and you should shorten the next one down by 5-6 cms. You need to be very careful to get enough tension on the forestay, as with all roller headsail set ups. Try to get a LOT of tension on the halyard before you get the clevis pin in the forestay.

    Coming to the mainsail ..

    We have one deep reef. Next modification will be to fit a topping lift and a boom crutch and keep the boom in the gooseneck all the time, with the kicking strap attached all the time. This will involve a sail cover, but it will be quicker and easier than fighting the boom into position each time. A final mod which might breach class rules (we are going to check) will be to use slugs in the mast groove rather than the mainsail luff rope.

    We donít think that lazyjacks would help, with such a small boat. They would probably just stop the sail coming down.

    If you have a deep water mooring, leave the rudder in.

    Last edited by Minn; 23-04-19 at 17:13.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    S.W. France
    Posts
    7,357

    Default Re: Roller reefing and easy jacks on a Squib

    Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post

    We don’t think that lazyjacks would help, with such a small boat. They would probably just stop the sail coming down.

    If you have a deep water mooring, leave the rudder in.
    Beg to differ, oh master.. but I have lazy jacks on a smaller boat and they do a good job of keeping the boom and bundle up and out of the light while coming along side. (Gunter rig, so the yard used to get in the way when it sagged).

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
    Posts
    8,588

    Default Re: Roller reefing and easy jacks on a Squib

    Quote Originally Posted by DownWest View Post
    Beg to differ, oh master.. but I have lazy jacks on a smaller boat and they do a good job of keeping the boom and bundle up and out of the light while coming along side. (Gunter rig, so the yard used to get in the way when it sagged).
    Point taken, but your yard brings the sail down and between the lazyjacks reliably.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Chichester, West Sussex
    Posts
    4,012

    Default Re: Roller reefing and easy jacks on a Squib

    Quote Originally Posted by DownWest View Post
    Beg to differ, oh master.. but I have lazy jacks on a smaller boat and they do a good job of keeping the boom and bundle up and out of the light while coming along side. (Gunter rig, so the yard used to get in the way when it sagged).
    I'll beg to differ again then as I agree with Minn..

    Lazy jacks on a small boat are a pain... almost always get a batten stuck when raising it, and my boat is so small (Hurley 20) I can gather it in and whack a quick bungee on as quick..

    Definitely +100 for mast slugs for the main - on mine, she drops as soon as I let the halyard off - and roller furler for the jib
    Never knowingly undersailed...
    http://hurley20sparrow.blogspot.com/

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
    Posts
    8,588

    Default Re: Roller reefing and easy jacks on a Squib

    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasie 19 View Post
    I'll beg to differ again then as I agree with Minn..

    Lazy jacks on a small boat are a pain... almost always get a batten stuck when raising it, and my boat is so small (Hurley 20) I can gather it in and whack a quick bungee on as quick..

    Definitely +100 for mast slugs for the main - on mine, she drops as soon as I let the halyard off - and roller furler for the jib
    Thanks for the advice on the mast slugs. Good to know. We will go ahead with them on the “Cruising mainsail” even if we have to use a luff rope in the groove for racing.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    S.W. France
    Posts
    7,357

    Default Re: Roller reefing and easy jacks on a Squib

    Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    Thanks for the advice on the mast slugs. Good to know. We will go ahead with them on the “Cruising mainsail” even if we have to use a luff rope in the groove for racing.
    Good point, we don't know if the OP will be racing. But do many people with Squibs not?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
    Posts
    8,588

    Default Re: Roller reefing and easy jacks on a Squib

    Quote Originally Posted by DownWest View Post
    Good point, we don't know if the OP will be racing. But do many people with Squibs not?
    A Squib is a racer; no doubt at all about that, but she is also a jolly nice, vice free, dayboat. Ours was once part of the East Anglian Sail Trust fleet and sailed by people who are severely physically disabled, and was then owned by a gentleman who started sailing in 1946.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Kent, England
    Posts
    57

    Default Re: Roller reefing and easy jacks on a Squib

    Thanks for all the advice chaps and yes, DownWest I will be racing.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to