Default Insuring an old boat

I have just bought a 1970's Westerly in sound condition, everything where is should be, good keels, recent motor etc.

This boat hasn't had a survey in the last 10 years and my insurance company is asking for one, i was just about to engage a surveyor thinking it would just cost the £200 odd for the survey, but it was mentioned that they may well say things about the gas installation etc that would be cost prohibitive to change and will void your insurance if you don't action.

Its a £5k boat, would you just insure 3rd party? Or does anyone think there wont be an issue?

Thanks,

Default Re: Insuring an old boat

It depends on how much £5,000 means to you. It's an unfortunate fact of life, that those who need insurance, are the people who can least afford it. My previous (relatively low value) boat was insured 3rd party. My present (relatively high value) boat is fully insured. It's a gamble.

If there is any question about the safety of the gas installation, sort it!
    Last edited by NormanS; 23-04-19 at 17:51.

I would go third party and enjoy sailing and getting to know her.

Shop around a bit. Not all Insurers require a survey for a low cost boat like yours, and mine. Mine is a 1972 Trident, and all I have ever been asked for is photographs to confirm the overall condition of the boat.

There is a catch clause, that i have to take reasonable steps to ensure the boat is in seaworthy condition. In the precise terms of a court of law, what is 'reasonable steps'? I am like most of us, nothing more than a knowledgeable amateur. How much leeway would they allow in a total loss claim? I dont know.

I asked a boatbuilder to take a look and give his 'Opinion' in writing. A fraction of the cost of a survey, and I can argue I have obtained a professional opinion as the most reasonable step I can take to ensure the boat is seaworthy.
    Last edited by oldharry; 23-04-19 at 18:08.
    Is Conservation for wildlife or conservationists?
    http://boatownersresponse.org.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Daverw View Post
    I would go third party and enjoy sailing and getting to know her.
    +1.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

If the gas installation is your greatest worry you could always get around that by removing it, selling the cooker and bottles on eBay (or here) and putting the money towards an Origo spirit stove.
    " Brexit is like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

I suggest you try Navigators & General.

Thanks for these responses, I'm not worried about the Gas and I also work in a well respected refit / build yard - so see all types of everything on boats and this isn't a bad one!

Will try your suggestions - but erring on third party I reckon.

Sail on the Medway, Kent from Chatham Maritime Marina

It would be worth joining the Westerly Owners Association and use their group insurance scheme. It is an improved version of the Navigators & General policy, but you get a discount by being a member. So worth the £15.00 per anum membership fee.
    https://westerly-owners.co.uk/join-woa
    If my foresight was as good as my hindsight, I would be a multi-millionaire.