Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Cumbria; U.K.
    Posts
    3,255

    Default Marine Gender Equality

    According to today's Daily Telegraph, the National Maritime Museum is to start refering to boats as "it" rather than "she". I wonder if that story has been published 22 days too late.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SW Scotland
    Posts
    18,894

    Default Re: Marine Gender Equality

    Quote Originally Posted by earlybird View Post
    According to today's Daily Telegraph, the National Maritime Museum is to start refering to boats as "it" rather than "she". I wonder if that story has been published 22 days too late.
    The Scottish Maritime Museum, not the Greenwich one, if you mean this article: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...gns-referring/
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Mooring, Faro
    Posts
    1,289

    Default Re: Marine Gender Equality

    Another case of PC gone mad.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Durham, England
    Posts
    15,978

    Default Re: Marine Gender Equality

    There was some discussion with Lord West about it on "Today" this morning. From 2:58:18 https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0004f3f

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    A Member State of the European Union
    Posts
    3,798

    Default Re: Marine Gender Equality

    Quote Originally Posted by elton View Post
    There was some discussion with Lord West about it on "Today" this morning. From 2:58:18 https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0004f3f
    A good man Lord West: Anti-Brexit and doesn't like Corbyn.
    'To lay the foundations of an ever closer union among the peoples of Europe' (EC Treaty)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Aberaeron
    Posts
    1,428

    Default Re: Marine Gender Equality

    Quote Originally Posted by Graham376 View Post
    Another case of PC gone mad.
    +1 is there no end to the PC lunacy?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,044

    Default Re: Marine Gender Equality

    Quote Originally Posted by Praxinoscope View Post
    +1 is there no end to the PC lunacy?
    +1.... total nonsense. Those of us in the real world can continue with whatever suits us and our boats...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    348

    Default Re: Marine Gender Equality

    God, this topic does bring out the Colonel Blimps and Disgusteds of Tunbridge Wells, doesn't it.
    No one is telling or even asking you to call your boat anything but what you want to call it.
    A museum in Scotland thought that rather than continue to have its signs vandalised, it would just be easier to not use feminine pronouns for ships in its signs. The same thing happened when people got annoyed with the "no blacks, no Irish" signs too, but I suspect some of you are still smarting at that as well.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    21,556

    Default Re: Marine Gender Equality

    Quote Originally Posted by newtothis View Post
    God, this topic does bring out the Colonel Blimps and Disgusteds of Tunbridge Wells, doesn't it.
    No one is telling or even asking you to call your boat anything but what you want to call it.
    A museum in Scotland thought that rather than continue to have its signs vandalised, it would just be easier to not use feminine pronouns for ships in its signs. The same thing happened when people got annoyed with the "no blacks, no Irish" signs too, but I suspect some of you are still smarting at that as well.
    We may be Colonel Blimps (great film) but this means that we have some respect for tradition and the history of our peoples. The Scottish events may be small beer but we live in a world where mass and social media encourage people to think that they have a right to impose their minority views on others by vandalism and force. It may be a long way from naming ships to our current madness of no-platforming, but at least it is of more relevance than your insulting us by ascribing to us an acceptance of racist views that we never held.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    348

    Default Re: Marine Gender Equality

    Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    We may be Colonel Blimps (great film) but this means that we have some respect for tradition and the history of our peoples. The Scottish events may be small beer but we live in a world where mass and social media encourage people to think that they have a right to impose their minority views on others by vandalism and force. It may be a long way from naming ships to our current madness of no-platforming, but at least it is of more relevance than your insulting us by ascribing to us an acceptance of racist views that we never held.
    Hmm, our peoples? Right.
    Meanwhile, it is exactly the actions of the minorities kicking against the pricks that changes society. Back in the day, the suffragettes, civil rights leaders, anti-nuke movement and environmentalists were "imposing their minority views on others by vandalism and force".
    I dread to think what society would be like without them.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to