Default Anchor rode replace or not?

I suspect my Octoplait anchor rode probably is the same age as the boat. (1990 so 28 years). We don't anchor very often and barring a 2 trips to the Clyde and 1 to Pwllheli for a couple of weeks each, has always been used in fresh water maybe 3 or 4 times a year ( We are on Windermere).

The Anchor set up is a 15kgs Danforth style anchor with 5 metres of chain and 35M of 8 synthetic 8 stranded anchor rope (12mm I think I will look tomorrow) . Boat displaces 2000kgs

The rode resides in an anchor locker which is always wet at the bottom. I got it all out yesterday and pressure washed it, and let it dry. Visibly it all looked fine although maybe the rope to chain splice could do with being remade.

The rope has not been exposed to UV for any significant length of time. We are hoping to go to the Clyde for a couple of weeks in May. Will it have degraded over time? Should I replace it?

Default Re: Anchor rode replace or not?

I would replace it. 35m of 12mm rope does not cost much and it would be wroth the upgrade if you value not having to worry about the rode.

I suspect its fine, for a 2t vessel - but peace of mind is worth more.

Jonathan

I had a length of polypropelene rope ex cray fish pot rope about 10mm in diameter 3 strand. It looked good if a bit bleached in colour. It failed unexpectedly when used as an anchor rode on a small boat. I checked the remains by tying to a strong point and attaching to my car. When pulled it failed again quite easily. So yes age use and UV can damage a rope.
    You might like to try the stretch trick with a car. I think it will be obvious if the rope is no good. However as you have asked the question perhaps fr your peace of mind replace it anyway. ol'will

I'm sure it will be fine but if you're the slightest bit worried about it now, think how much more worried you'll be when the wind is howling through the rigging and the boat is jumping about

You've got me worrying now. I can't remember when I last used or even looked at my octoplait kedge warp. I ought to get it out and inspect it. Hey-ho, something else for the ever-growing to-do list
    " Brexit is like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"