Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheel nut bevel

Default Wheel nut bevel

I want to get a set of locking wheel nuts for my boat trailer. The nuts have a bevel on them. Is the bevel standard or are there different angles?

I don't have any accurate angle measuring tools. Having drawn the angle on paper and measured it with a protractor it looks like it might be 45 degrees, is that a common angle?

Default Re: Wheel nut bevel

I would guess that the bevel is the same on all. You might try to find what kind of car the wheels come from and go for replacements for that car. A tyre shop or moptor factor which also sells mag alloy rims might also sell security type wheel nuts so should be able to advise if the one angle is universal. ol'will

The bevel isn’t the same on all.

Here’s an article explaining things. It’s American but applies universally. https://m.autoserviceprofessional.co...wheel-clamping
    Semper aliud

Take one nut off and take it to a motor factor.
    Working on immortality - One day at a time.

It is established that the nut has a 60 degree bezel. I am under the impression after some measurement that it is 12mm 1.25 pitch which according to one locking nut supplier would make it the same size as my Pathfinder wheel nuts. My Pathfinder nuts don't fit I measure those as being 12mm 1.5 pitch.

Might my trailer nuts be imperial 1/2" Whitworth or UNF maybe 20g how close is that to M12? I was measuring inside the nut which is probably not as easy as measuring the bolt which I am about to do.

Quote Originally Posted by davidpbo View Post
    It is established that the nut has a 60 degree bezel. I am under the impression after some measurement that it is 12mm 1.25 pitch which according to one locking nut supplier would make it the same size as my Pathfinder wheel nuts. My Pathfinder nuts don't fit I measure those as being 12mm 1.5 pitch.

Might my trailer nuts be imperial 1/2" Whitworth or UNF maybe 20g how close is that to M12? I was measuring inside the nut which is probably not as easy as measuring the bolt which I am about to do.
    Very likely to be UNF ... I'd be surprised if they are BSF, even more surprised if they are Whitworth.

Measure the outside diameter of the thread accurately, and the thread pitch in mm if its looking like a round number of mm diameter. (10 12 14 or 16 mm) Or the tpi if its looking like a round number of 1/16 ". { 3/8", 7/16", 1/2", or 5/8")

then check the thread tables ..........( everybody should have a copy of "Zeus")

Note that some wheel nuts are conical, others have a spherical base

What's a pathfinder ?
    Last edited by VicS; 25-04-19 at 20:38.

Quote Originally Posted by VicS View Post
    What's a pathfinder ?
    A big Nissan 4x4.

Pete

I thought a Pathfinder was a big Riley...once known as a Ditchfinder.

The last Riley to have a proper Riley engine which, together with IRS and and a right hand gearchange on rhd cars make it somewhat interesting.

Whoever owns the Riley brand now (?) should sue Nissan.

Doesn't help with wheel nut bevel though.

Quote Originally Posted by wombat88 View Post
    I thought a Pathfinder was a big Riley...once known as a Ditchfinder.
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...443cc_1956.JPG

Whoever owns the Riley brand now (?)
    BMW

Doesn't help with wheel nut bevel though.
    Who cares about wheel nut bevel
    Last edited by VicS; 25-04-19 at 22:18.

Quote Originally Posted by VicS View Post
    Very likely to be UNF ... I'd be surprised if they are BSF, even more surprised if they are Whitworth.

Measure the outside diameter of the thread accurately, and the thread pitch in mm if its looking like a round number of mm diameter. (10 12 14 or 16 mm) Or the tpi if its looking like a round number of 1/16 ". { 3/8", 7/16", 1/2", or 5/8")

then check the thread tables ..........( everybody should have a copy of "Zeus")

Note that some wheel nuts are conical, others have a spherical base

What's a pathfinder ?
    As per PRV's post, sorry I wasn't clear.

I can't measure the diameter more accurately, the wheel is still on the axle and time is limited. On my Draper thread gauge 1.25mm Metric and 20g BSW 1/4 ? Imperial fit the thread profile snugly. The stud diameter seems to be nearer 12mm than 12.7, internal diameter of the nut is approx. 11.32mm

I think I am mistaken in saying the Pathfinder wheel nuts are 1.5mm pitch, a 12mm bolt with 1.5 pitch won't fit them. The trailer is 30 years old and the manufacturer long gone.

I will have to wait Until Saturday when my local bolt shop is open and try some sizes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast