Thread: Deep Sea Seals.

Default Deep Sea Seals.

Reinventing the wheel ..Badly ?

Problem with Princess 330 losing drive on a MS4B gearbox.
    Gearbox has got to come out. With the standard simple sternglands on my P35 its a bit of awkward spannering, a couple of hours work and merely slide shafts back out the way to remove.
    Some genius has fitted DSS sternglands in the past. Due to the daft inherent design of the seals the boat has got to come out of the water.
    So add another 600.00 quid for lift and block off.
    Suspect no room to withdraw bolts on basic flexible coupling change either .
    Anybody done this job with deep sea seals while still afloat ?
    Last edited by oldgit; 24-04-19 at 06:51.

Default Re: Deep Sea Seals.

Not sure but a mate of mine had some fitted whilst in the water, can you not just undo the r&d and push back??

That was my thought as well. I am sure that's how I did it on a boat years ago.
    Dave

Thats my first thought, but folks who know ( gearbox repairers(Queenborough) and marine gearbox removers( Dover ) have insisted that a Corniche with similar set up has to come out of water with these seals fitted..
    Last edited by oldgit; 24-04-19 at 11:50.

If you know what you are looking at why not give it a go? at worst all you will have to do is slide the shaft back into position,

Some sizes of DS Seals have an inflatable bladder on the stern tube end which can be inflated to seal the shaft while the shaft end of the seal is slackened off and relocated up the shaft. Re secure seal, partly deflate bladder and slide shaft aft as required.
    Unfortunately you must secure the shaft fore and aft as the seal needs preload to press the seal faces together once in the new position. Its doable, but the lift out saves a lot of footer!

Thanks all.
    Will pass comments onto owner of boat, think he is resigned to a lift out at local marina.
    Need to get box out and pull it apart.
    No drive in forward or astern. If he is "lucky" , will be a part that VP still list.
    Might be the same problem that we had last year, drive shaft 853523 failed.
    Shaft is identical in both 2.63 and 1.93 reverse gears.