Question Orange Gas Hose Expiry Date Query

Hello,

I have just bought a length of Orange Gas hose with "4/17" printed on the hose along with all the other bumf. Is the hose life calculated from installation date or manufactured date? I assume that the date on the hose is the manufactured date. I understand that hose is expected to be replaced every 5 years.

Look forward to your advice,

BlowingOldBoots
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

Default Re: Orange Gas Hose Expiry Date Query

Manufacturing date but, if no deterioration I leave a bit longer.

5 years from manufacture, although common sense plays a part unless you need to specifically have 'in-date' hose. Two years into its life is a bit off though.
    If found in the Brexit forum, please return to the real world.

Thanks folks, mail order, so did not get to pick it. However, it's easy to replace and very low cost so the date is not an issue really.

I don't know what is driving this, the rubber deteriorating when on the shelf, or damaged caused by gas interacting with the rubber? In my industry we have expiry dates for elastomers based on manufacturing dates, so I guess its the same, the properties change over time.
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

Quote Originally Posted by BlowingOldBoots View Post
    I don't know what is driving this
    Probably the usual combination of someone thinking there should be a standard, to address the problem of the safety of those too dense to think from time to time 'Does this still look alright?', and industry keen to promote a solution that increases its sales.

Quote Originally Posted by BlowingOldBoots View Post
    Thanks folks, mail order, so did not get to pick it. However, it's easy to replace and very low cost so the date is not an issue really.

I don't know what is driving this, the rubber deteriorating when on the shelf, or damaged caused by gas interacting with the rubber? In my industry we have expiry dates for elastomers based on manufacturing dates, so I guess its the same, the properties change over time.
    I cannot speak for the orange HP hose but I had a length of unused LP hose which split length wise when pushed onto a nozzle......... No signs of cracking when flexed.
    It was rather older than the recommended 5 year life but had only been on the garage shelf.