Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bump

Default bump

Hi ,
    Had a bump last week. Straight away I went to the marina where it happened and gave my contact details and notified them what had happened. I was hoping to make contact with the owner. was told it did not work like that. Is it normal to exchange details ?.

Steveeasy
    Last edited by steveeasy; 24-04-19 at 19:21.

Default Re: bump

Quote Originally Posted by steveeasy View Post
    Hi ,
    Had a bump last week. Straight away I went to the marina where it happened and gave my contact details and notified them what had happened. I was hoping to make contact with the owner. was told it did not work like that. Is it normal to exchange details ?.

Steveeasy
    Well I would certainly exchange contact details. Perhaps the marina staff are reluctant to give other owners' contact details for some reason.

I have only bumped a boat once causing some very slight damage. I contacted the owner, apologised profusely and asked him to inspect his boat. He called back to say the damage (a scrape to his wooden rubbing strake) was trifling and to forget all about it. I left a bottle of decent Scotch whisky in his cockpit and he was very pleased with that little gesture. Everyone was happy and any embarrassment I felt at the time has long since faded away.
    " Brexit is like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

In my experience, it ranges from the guilty party sorting a repair and telling you when it's all done (Hi, I smashed your nav light, I hope the new one is OK?) through to them fleeing the country for two years.
    Most people just accept small scratches on a give and take basis within reason. Many of us have been on both sides of this over the years.
    What the issue here, you want the marina staff to contact the owner for you and they can't be bothered? Were you at fault?

There's a saying 'worse things happen at sea'. In my experience worse still happens in Marinas, especially French ones.

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    Most people just accept small scratches on a give and take basis within reason. Many of us have been on both sides of this over the years.
    There's a saying 'worse things happen at sea'. In my experience worse still happens in Marinas, especially French ones.
    That's true. If you are a fusspot about such things it's best to avoid France. However, any deficiencies in boat handling skills there are more than compensated for by the charming apology one receives from the assailant; often the precursor to a few drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by steveeasy View Post
    I was hoping to make contact with the owner. was told it did not work like that. Is it normal to exchange details ?
    A lot of people seem to make hand-waving "data protection" statements to avoid doing any work but in a case like this it's probably reasonable: I wouldn't want a marina giving out my contact details without my permission. I would imagine the appropriate protocol is you give your details to the marina with permission for them to give them to the owner, the marina passes those to the owner and they get in contact with you

In the first instance I did not want the owner to turn up not knowing. So I was keen to notify him straight away. the marina said they would look at it next week. I also wanted to offer my sincere apologies, I felt really bad about it.

Unfortunately the boat was moored on a pontoon that had specifically been excluded for use as moorings as a planning condition due to navigational safety concerns. Ive seen it happen several times and unfortunately it has caught me out this time. not the owners fault at all, and in reality it should never have happened.

There shall be no moorings on the south west side of the pontoon adjacent to xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. Reason: In the interest of navigational safety

Steveeasy
    Last edited by steveeasy; 24-04-19 at 20:30.

Quote Originally Posted by laika View Post
    I wouldn't want a marina giving out my contact details without my permission.
    I would want them to use a bit of common sense and not act like jobsworths.

If someone damaged my boat and wanted to contact me I would not have the slightest objection to the marina staff giving the culprit my contact details. In fact I would be annoyed if they didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Poignard View Post
    If someone damaged my boat and wanted to contact me I would not have the slightest objection to the marina staff giving the culprit my contact details.
    This presumably proves the point that different customers require different handling, marina staff are in a difficult position and need to err on the side of caution. Their responsibility should be to pass on the details and, where applicable a message from the other party immediately. If someone damaged my boat I would want the marina to contact me as soon as they were informed and allow me to chose what method I preferred to contact the nice, considerate, but unfortunate other party.

Quote Originally Posted by Poignard View Post
    I would want them to use a bit of common sense and not act like jobsworths.

If someone damaged my boat and wanted to contact me I would not have the slightest objection to the marina staff giving the culprit my contact details. In fact I would be annoyed if they didn't.
    +1

I would prefer that they take the culprit's details and pass them on to me with an idea of the damage. Then I can decide if I want to follow up or not bother.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast