Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: MAN 800 engines....

Quote Originally Posted by Scala View Post
    So, on that point - I'm never ever going to use a Jet Ski, trust me.

So, permanent removal of the crane and making good, and the Jet Ski from the swim platform and selling it, will help to the tune of 100's of Kgs of weight, improving lift at the stern at low planing speeds, and sticking a few random back in the kitty.

Wise move .

I was wondering about the hassle involved in a simple tender launch after anchoring on a buoy for lunch .
    Having to shift the J ski to get the tender out

Just put a round plug of teak or something in the hole .

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    MapisM is correct we have the 700 ,s electronic but just before CR

Ours are 12.8 L with a longer stroke .Theres a sensible mean piston speed with none titanium rodded engines and seeing the 2876 pistons have to travel 76 mm , more than most our max rpm is only 2150 ish .More of s lower down push to the left of the torque curve to basically suit diesel rail units .
    It seems that I was actually correct in saying that also the CR version has the same bore/stroke/displacement as yours.
    I just checked the specs sheet, and indeed they just increased the rated speed on the very same block.
    Unsurprisingly I must say, since changing the stroke of an engine is a big deal.
    Afaik, they only did that some years ago with the V8 and V12 (the V10 having been already dismissed by then), because they wanted to squeeze more than the 900 and 1360hp respectively which they reached with the previous shorter stroke blocks.

Btw, if you look at this MAN webpage, interestingly you can see that even for their current inline 6 they specify 128/166 for bore/stroke, and at the same time they mention 12.4L insted of 12.8 for the displacement...
    Let's just hope that in their technical dept there is someone more familiar with mathematics than in marketing!
    Last edited by MapisM; 25-04-19 at 09:53.

Spec on advert says 16.1m. Ideally I'd want to be under that say 14-15, so if it's actually even longer it's probably a non starter.

I would arrange a viewing if not only to mentally dismiss 18+ M .We did .Mrs Porto poo poo ed the massive ness of them .
    But there’s the S/Skr dealer in our marina .
    We ended up liking the size of the Porto 46 .Open for us not an issue in the Med , shafts but VP 74 ,s and I wanted to move away from the whole VP set up .Could not find a Yanmar 500 version .Aside the 46 ,s are steady not really fast 22/23 knot boats , that’s enough though .

They do a Porto 47 HT on shafts and IPS .Shaft D9 , IPS D6 . The IPS will be aged by now and they slam hull wise over 24 knots .
    Tend to ride bow high , water hits station 5 too often .
    A D9 on shafts could be ok mech wise ,but Sunnys again you are looking at 15 M a few inches short of 50 ft total tape measure L

I,d go and have a few viewings and sit on some aa said just to eliminate.

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    It seems that I was actually correct in saying that also the CR version has the same bore/stroke/displacement as yours.
    I just checked the specs sheet, and indeed they just increased the rated speed on the very same block.
    Unsurprisingly I must say, since changing the stroke of an engine is a big deal.
    Afaik, they only did that some years ago with the V8 and V12 (the V10 having been already dismissed by then), because they wanted to squeeze more than the 900 and 1360hp respectively which they reached with the previous shorter stroke blocks.

Btw, if you look at this MAN webpage, interestingly you can see that even for their current inline 6 they specify 128/166 for bore/stroke, and at the same time they mention 12.4L insted of 12.8 for the displacement...
    Let's just hope that in their technical dept there is someone more familiar with mathematics than in marketing!
    Hay what are you doing the bore is 126 not 128 in the link .
    Mines 128/ 176 , that link is 126/ 166

Changed the bores , rods , pistons , cranks .
    Kept the block and heads .

We all have brain farts

Germans don’t make technical errors
    Italians well let’s not go there
    Last edited by Portofino; 25-04-19 at 10:38. Reason: Typo

Spec on advert says 16.1m. Ideally I'd want to be under that say 14-15, so if it's actually even longer it's probably a non starter.
    In our port they will not allow the SsP53 on a 16 m berth. Then again they do work to rule on length measurements. Ask your port office what tolerances they will allow. You might be in luck.

Have a look at the Sunseeker broakerage page as they have a few P53s on offer. The Ss broker in our port loves the P53 as he can always sell them. This way you can see what the market price point is, or at least get a feel.

This one is in our port (Beaulieu Sur Mer) https://www.sunseekerfrance.com/en-G...-portofino-53/
    Last edited by mcanderson; 25-04-19 at 10:13. Reason: Linked added.

Cheers folks that's all useful (esp the tip about the length).

I'll do all of that over the next weeks. Down on S Coast again in a week or two.
    Last edited by Scala; 25-04-19 at 10:58.
    Graham. Bavaria 42 Vision, "Scala"

Cheers folks that's all useful (esp teh tip about the length).

I'll do all of that over the next weeks. Down on S Coast again in a week or two.
    Hi I have a Pred 54 which is basically the next generation of the Porto 53 with the same Man engines have had her two seasons now and love it, the engines to date have been faultless parts and servicing around the solent is easy with local Man dealers. My previous boat had the previous generation Mans the same as Portos also had no issues with them over the ten years I had her. Any questions or if you wanted to take a look at mine, in lymington, just PM me.

Hi Den100, excellent, that's more encouragement on the MANs. I need to land the LOA question but if it looks doable I'll take you up on your offer - thank you!

BTW, are you on N pontoon at Lymington? We were there for a few days last year on O, opposite a Predator. Might have been you....?
    Graham. Bavaria 42 Vision, "Scala"

You are doing it the right way
    MAN powered and decent hull , HT for U.K. weather ( normally ) the rest can fit in .
    For 13/14 M
    Da da ........ https://www.inautia.it/barca-2723103...100509745.html

They do a newer 46 as well as the 43 . Here https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/c...pe/Pershing/46

The compromise is trucking a 43/46 home - think a few weeks in the Med to start with and factor the 6 K in the project .
    A French one or Liguria one unless you want to spend 4/ 5 K on fuel bringing one up from Rome ? .
    La Rague near me is always lifting largish boats out to move up north .
    Last edited by Portofino; 25-04-19 at 11:18.

No we are on F pontoon you can't miss mine its the only boat with a black hull! there are no other Predators in the marina so unless it was a visitor, could however have been a my old boat a Camargue 50HT which is just in from the marina entrance. I did look at a Porto 53 before buying the Pred and from memory the LOA was just under 57ft.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast