Thread: Volvo tamd41p-a

Default Volvo tamd41p-a

Anyone have experience with Volvo TAMD41P-A grey/white smoking issues. One engine started smoking excessively about a month ago. Very bad smell of unburnt diesel fuel. Drained bottom of fuel tank, changed fuel filters and air filters, checked turbo and all appeared fine. I had someone out to have a look and determined that one of the injector nozel tips was broken off. A camera was used to investigate the cylinder and piston head and all looked fine. The injectors were sent off for re-conditioning. A pressure test was performed on the cylinders and all were OK and the same. The injectors were put back in and the engine started and it was thought that the piston hit the same injector again. The engine has about 1100 hours on the clock and I am being told now that it could be the big-end bearings or cracked cylinder liner. Has anyone has a similar experience and could this be anything simpler.

Default Re: Volvo tamd41p-a

probably a stupid question - did the mechanic get the remains of previous broken injector out first?
    can't see it being big ends at all- whats the oil pressure at idle?
    I would have thought a cracked cylinder liner would show on pressure testing and you would be loosing cooling water.
    time to get a camera in there again

Send PM to Volvo Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pquigley99 View Post
    Anyone have experience with Volvo TAMD41P-A grey/white smoking issues. One engine started smoking excessively about a month ago. Very bad smell of unburnt diesel fuel. Drained bottom of fuel tank, changed fuel filters and air filters, checked turbo and all appeared fine. I had someone out to have a look and determined that one of the injector nozel tips was broken off. A camera was used to investigate the cylinder and piston head and all looked fine. The injectors were sent off for re-conditioning. A pressure test was performed on the cylinders and all were OK and the same. The injectors were put back in and the engine started and it was thought that the piston hit the same injector again. The engine has about 1100 hours on the clock and I am being told now that it could be the big-end bearings or cracked cylinder liner. Has anyone has a similar experience and could this be anything simpler.
    I’d doubt very much the piston will hit the injectors as it only protrudes the headbabout 1.5 mm . It’s directly into the combustion chamber top of piston which is a deep pocket . Even if the big end bearing had failed it wouldn’t hit the injector .
    These engines smoke very heavy as they are low compression.

Thank you for the replies, I found out yesterday that the mechanic is replacing the piston and the sleeve as well as the valves. It was indicated that very high temperature has caused scarring and a slight hole in the piston top. I assume all of this would have been caused by the broken nozel on the injector. Is there any rule of thumb for having the injectors inspected to avoid this from happening again?