Default Beneteau Antares 710 ignition/starter problem help

Hi,

I’m having problems with my Beneteau Antares 710 which I recently purchased. Starting or ignition switch is causing problems I think. I have removed starter motor cleaned and re-oiled all moving parts, checked wiring and batteries, fully charged.
    9 times out of 10 the engine starts no problem then intermittently I get no response only a clicking sound from the ignition, like some sort of relay switch in the panel, the buzzer on the panel also sounds distressed. If I leave it for a while and return it could start with no problems. I need it to be reliable for long journeys, could it be a defective ignition switch? I had the starter motor checked over the last time I removed it and the mechanic said it was fine.

Any advice would be very much appreciated..

Model of panel and engine

‘Yanmar C-Type panel, engine model Yanmar 4LH-HTE’

Video showing problem..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QTjvL-32i4

Thanks in advance.

Harry

Default Re: Beneteau Antares 710 ignition/starter problem help

Hi harry

If you’re certain your batteries are good, there can’t be much else at fault other than poor main connections. Either a main earth or positive poor connections.

The automatic and instant thought after watching and listening to the video would almost certainly suggest a flat battery...but if you’re sure it’s not...I’d try getting a jump starter cable and running it directly from your battery earth to an engine known earth (like a lifting eye or mount) and by passing the normal earthing routes that may be at fault. Perhaps less likely but could also try with the other polarity too. Straight from battery to the starter.

When she does fire and run...is she putting out a good healthy charging voltage ? As in like 13.5v or more maybe ?

It’s defo either a bad battery or a bad or poor connection somewhere. Try the jump start lead thing anyway. See how she goes.

Also might mention that if you have two batteries....worth remembering that even if one is known to be good...a poor or degraded linked battery can draw from and ruin the other very easily.

Enough boring you for now...try the above and check all main connections and earths. Especially at the battery, starter and alternator

Quote Originally Posted by QBhoy View Post
    Hi harry

If you’re certain your batteries are good, there can’t be much else at fault other than poor main connections. Either a main earth or positive poor connections.

The automatic and instant thought after watching and listening to the video would almost certainly suggest a flat battery...but if you’re sure it’s not...I’d try getting a jump starter cable and running it directly from your battery earth to an engine known earth (like a lifting eye or mount) and by passing the normal earthing routes that may be at fault. Perhaps less likely but could also try with the other polarity too. Straight from battery to the starter.

When she does fire and run...is she putting out a good healthy charging voltage ? As in like 13.5v or more maybe ?

It’s defo either a bad battery or a bad or poor connection somewhere. Try the jump start lead thing anyway. See how she goes.

Also might mention that if you have two batteries....worth remembering that even if one is known to be good...a poor or degraded linked battery can draw from and ruin the other very easily.

Enough boring you for now...try the above and check all main connections and earths. Especially at the battery, starter and alternator

QHBoy,

Firstly thanks very much for your advice. Was thinking it is a bad connection, the batteries are wired in parallel, the starter I checked with a hand held unit, checked cranking and charging, all tests came back as 'good battery'' - main battery on cranking the main dropped to about 10.8 v. Test checked the alternator when raving the engine also good, I didn't check the other battery insitu as it was brand new (week old) Varta battery 800amp (...did a quick check before I put it in all good) the earth from this runs to fly wheel housing. I thought there was some type of relay in the dashboard attached to ignition, then second thoughts it was actually the buzzer trying to work and not a relay. The big isolator key (red) and two big keys red and black. I think the red cable from the battery goes to the first red key - main isolator with removal key and is then looped in red key beside it which is also a red key with tap like head from here to the starter motor.I sprayed some contact cleaner into these maybe be a dirty connection. Would these big contact keys tap like keys be a problem? I turn all these keys so the tap type heads are in line making the system live. The boat has been laying up for a while before I got it, in need of a good run out. I'll do the checks you suggested, and all connections, looks like all connections have been treated with vaseline before I got the boat. Just waiting for Hurricane Hanna to pass here! Like I said this would happen one in ten goes so harder to diagnose, looks very likely that its not receiving the power - bad connection like you said, any other time it turns the engine no problem.

Again thanks for your advice.

Cheers

Harry