Question Tech Info - Swapping Enfield for Volvo Sterndrives

Hello all.
    I am considering swapping Enfield 130's on my boat to Volvo 270 / 280 and fitting engines with more HP.
    Is it a simple(ish) job of cutting bigger hole and drilling new holes for bolts or a much bigger job?
    Thanks

Default Re: Tech Info - Swapping Enfield for Volvo Sterndrives

Buying a boat with the desired engine & OD would be a better bet.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNotlob View Post
    Hello all.
    I am considering swapping Enfield 130's on my boat to Volvo 270 / 280 and fitting engines with more HP.
    Is it a simple(ish) job of cutting bigger hole and drilling new holes for bolts or a much bigger job?
    Thanks
    will your boat take more hp ,can you source engines and legs ,whats the cost

Quote Originally Posted by seastoke View Post
    will your boat take more hp ,can you source engines and legs ,whats the cost
    It is a Marine Project 31. I was thinking of going to around 120+ HP Per Engine.
    There are lots of engines available out there - just a matter of searching the 'net.
    Sterndrives more costly but I would imagine I could get a suitable engine and drive for under 3500 per set - ever hopeful :-)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simonfraser View Post
    Buying a boat with the desired engine & OD would be a better bet.
    I got this boat for 250, it's a Marine Project 31 that requires some work (new cockpit timber, replacing old hoses for heads, shower, sink, etc plus rewire; oh and 2x new engines - the sterndrives are OK!)
    I had an MP31 20+ years ago that the prevous owner had already installed VP 270's and I put a couple of Iveco Turbo Diesels in. Better fuel consumption, quieter, more power and lighter than the old VP engines.

Not VP but a couple of 120hp mercruiser (Isuzu) 1.7dti's with Alpha 1's might be an option if you can find them. They have a bad rep due to seizing wastegate issues in small boats with poor engine baffles but that should not be an issue in this case. On the plus side the base engine is used in Vauxhalls so parts are reasonable and they're nice and light for the power they produce.

I would guess that either a VP or Mercruiser outdive will need bigger holes in the transom than an enfield.

Edit: Heres one: https://www.gumtree.com/p/boats-kaya...ine/1336644851
    Last edited by Ferris; 26-04-19 at 15:34.