Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Black Exhaust discharge

My boat has a 40yr old Volvo penta md5 it's fairly clean and been well cared for. But when I run the engine too hard (there's no rev counter) I get a black coloured slick in the water behind the boat. I dont think its diesel because it doesn't give the rainbow colours you get when spilling fuel. Could it be oil? Although I dont seem to be losing any? Only other though was maybe it's carbon from exhaust been blown out?
    I'm not a mechanic engine runs great and starts well too. Just worried it might need work doing.

Thanks

Home; Abingdon, Oxfordshire. Boat; Hardway, Gosport

Default Re: Black Exhaust discharge

Have you antifouled and cleaned your prop this season?

No not yet she was ashore in June last year. I think it was doing it when the hull.was clean too

Does it have a cold start lever you pull out for cold starts? If so make sure it is returning fully down at the pump after the engine starts. Depends on how hard you are running the engine. Full throttle operation especially if you are still tied to a pontoon is going to cause black smoke. At what point on the throttle travel does the black smoke start?

Hi black mercury. It does have a cold start and I should check it returns fully. It's only.when the throttle is opened up that it creates the black slick. But its definitely not smoke I get a little white steam/smoke.but.nomther colour the black.slick is in the water

If it is any help, I have found that when my propeller has been fouled with weed the boat may only do 3 knots even with the throttle wide open. Looking over the stern, I have seen black soot like deposits from the exhaust in the water. Effectively, the weed is preventing the engine turning fast enough to properly burn the fuel. Once the weed is cleared all is well again.

Assuming the boat was not bought new by you and that there is no excessive fouling of hull and prop, I suggest the possibility that either the fuel system is delivering too much fuel or perhaps a slightly oversized prop was fitted before your ownership.

I should say that I am not a mechanic so my advice is intuitive rather than from authority!

Quote Originally Posted by Teko View Post
    Hi black mercury. It does have a cold start and I should check it returns fully. It's only.when the throttle is opened up that it creates the black slick. But its definitely not smoke I get a little white steam/smoke.but.nomther colour the black.slick is in the water
    Yes, check the cold start lever on the engine springs back after you start engine and the revs increase. Just because you push the hand lever in don't assume the lever on engine has returned. It should, but may need encouraged with a tap!

Quote Originally Posted by Teko View Post
    If it starts easily, runs well and does not use excessive quantities of lube oil dont worry about it unless it starts to produce clouds of black smoke.

The injector probably just needs cleaning/ servicing. Has it been done every 3 years as specified in the manual ?

Seen this many times on old Volvos, apart from the sooty water engines running well and reliably. As VicS says, possibly a poor injector spray, maybe too rich.

Thanks everyone doesn't sound too serious then. Plenty to think about with the above info! I'll report back with what I find

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast