Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Tips for fitting spray hood please.

Next week we plan to fit our spray hood that came with the boat when we purchased it but had never been fitted.

Being slightly nervous of drilling / making unecessary holes in a boat does anyone have a couple of tips or dos or don'ts please.

Default Re: Tips for fitting spray hood please.

Measure twice drill once ?

When you ascertain the general location of the holes, cover the areas with some masking tape before marking up the exact spots. Pilot drill. Chamfer the edges of the holes. Seal the sides of the holes with epoxy to prevent water ingress into the laminate, in the event of any leaks.

I fitted my own CJ Marine one and in my write up I was pretty scathing of them, however, the sprayhood itself is awesome, the frame is awesome, my fitting (less than awesome) required some fettling by Wilkinsons Sails who 'bent' my stainless a little more to tension it. Its now pretty much perfect. My findings below.

http://www.albinballad.co.uk/technol...ine-sprayhood/

My tip would be don't.
    Why on earth anyone would want a tent on a boat I have no idea.
    Earlier this week I had to move our club's committee boat to the mooring. It has a fairly new sprayhood & someone had decided to erect it before I took the boat out
    Looking through the plastic was a real pain & I had to stand up all the way to look over the top.
    I could no longer pick the buoy up single handed, as it meant a hurdle race to get to the bow
    To use the winch under the hood would cause extreme back ache & to go below meant bending double to get through the hatch
    Most useless bit of kit known to man
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    My tip would be don't.
    Earlier this week I had to move our club's committee boat to the mooring. It has a fairly new sprayhood & someone had decided to erect it before I took the boat out
    Looking through the plastic was a real pain & I had to stand up all the way to look over the top.
    I could no longer pick the buoy up single handed, as it meant a hurdle race to get to the bow
    To use the winch under the hood would cause extreme back ache & to go below meant bending double to get through the hatch
    ..….on that particular boat. I like my sprayhood, keeps the cold off me, rain out of saloon. I can see over and around mine. New plastic windows are clear. Can step past it very easily when going to bow. Pick-up mooring from cockpit with large hook thing on floating rope. Main sheet winch is under spray hood and easy to operate. Keep binos, pilot books, lunch etc under shelter.
    Evening time keeps dew out of saloon and adds a cosy protection, like a small tent.
    Solo sailor, each to his own I suppose.

My tip would be don't.
    Which must be why they are so rarely added to boats...

Quote Originally Posted by Seashoreman View Post
    ..….on that particular boat. I like my sprayhood, keeps the cold off me, rain out of saloon. I can see over and around mine. New plastic windows are clear. Can step past it very easily when going to bow. Pick-up mooring from cockpit with large hook thing on floating rope. Main sheet winch is under spray hood and easy to operate. Keep binos, pilot books, lunch etc under shelter.
    Evening time keeps dew out of saloon and adds a cosy protection, like a small tent.
    Ditto Ditto Ditto - I don't think my wife would go on the boat if I didn't have a decent spray hood. Mind you last summer we cruised the Thames Estuary ending up in London and most of the time the spray hood was lowered(no wind and motoring most of the time but sunny)

My tip would be don't.
    Are you really sure this boating stuff is right for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Seashoreman View Post
    +1 to all that. We rarely lower ours. In fact we went one better and fitted a full cockpit tent. It transformed our use of the boat, effectively giving us an extra room. We can sit out in the cockpit in the rain, and much later in the evening, when the cold would have driven us below before. No way was it cost effective on a slightly tatty 45 year old boat, but we wish we'd done it years ago. The only disadvantage is that you can't use it under sail.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast