Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: rigging a preventer

Quote Originally Posted by steve yates View Post
    I'm thinking more of having the little boat on autopilot (when it's installed) running downwind. Easy for her to yaw off course.
    Yes but you wouldn't want a situation where you were below and she (it? ) yawed so much, or the wind shifted, that she was taken aback.

The problem using an autopilot is that it takes no account of the wind direction. Under those circumstances I would want to be on a broad reach or, better still, (he boasted )using my windvane which cares nothing about the course but simply keeps the boat at the desired angle to the wind.
    " Brexit is like watching your library being burned down by people who can't read"

How about a Boombrake or similar. Are these worthwhile or just a solution in search of a problem?

I have two which live rigged on deck and double as spinnaker pole downhauls.
    I often attach both and can tack and gybe with them in position; they go back to jammers/winches on the coachroof.

They also gets used for the tack of the cruising chute. Having multiple use they are always there and ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Poignard View Post
    Yes but you wouldn't want a situation where you were below and she (it? ) yawed so much, or the wind shifted, that she was taken aback.

The problem using an autopilot is that it takes no account of the wind direction. Under those circumstances I would want to be on a broad reach or, better still, (he boasted )using my windvane which cares nothing about the course but simply keeps the boat at the desired angle to the wind.
    No I wouldn't, but it's gonna happen anyway at some point Hence the preventers question. And yes, wind vane is great, there is one on the twister, and the longbow will get one eventually. Prob overkill for the wee boat though I am tempted, one day, by a hebridean for her (not it!) when everything else is fettled

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123