Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Idiots guide needed with memorymap and antares charts

Ive always had a good working knowledge of computers. I've recently purchased both memorymap, with marine charts and antares charts. I've tried installing them and running them on pc and android phone but with no luck. I'm totally bamboozled by them. Can anyone help me or point me at an idiot's guide please?

Cheers,
    H

Default Re: Idiots guide needed with memorymap and antares charts

Normally Antares Charts come with full instructions. Just don't think at all, and follow the instructions. (I get my wife to do it).

Bob Bradfield's instructions are good.
    But Memory Map's licensing procedure is among the most opaque I have ever encountered.
    It does all work, ultimately but is not intuitive..
    Ask your wife or a son/daughter??

Don't know anything about Antares but if you are trying to use their charts with Memory Map you need an Import Maps licence:
    https://memory-map.com/mm-android-he...sting_Maps.htm

TBH, I've all but given up on MM on Android as each app upgrade is more of a degrade. Shame, as it was good to use when things were simple.
    I'd rather be tethered to a pad eye than tethered to an iPad.

I understand Antares protecting their product, but Memory Map is awful... took me several hours to work it out and even then do not like to use it. I just use the Antares image files.

If you follow the instructions given by Antares it should work fine. Certainly I have MM and Antares on Android, IOS and Windows.
    OP - how far did you get with the instructions and what is the specific issue?

You're right, I'm probably trying too hard and using my kind of logic!

I just went to look at mine on the iPad, when I zoom in towards the red block for an Antares chart, I now get a bloody is topo map! What's that about?

Quote Originally Posted by dunedin View Post
    If you follow the instructions given by Antares it should work fine. Certainly I have MM and Antares on Android, IOS and Windows.
    OP - how far did you get with the instructions and what is the specific issue?
    I read somewhere during the process (not on the memorymap website) that I had to download a MM viewer. I have downloaded this onto my laptop but can't find my charts licence number to activate then or the actual charts to download. I seem to have the app on my android phone but once again cannot get them onto it, it tell me to log in but doesn't give me a login window. I also read that I had to download the charts onto my laptop first because they are so big and then I can use them on my android phone. Furthermore I appear to have registered a tablet as one of the five devices that I don't want to use, I don't know how this happened or how to un-register it! Btw I also haven't got the MM registered either and cant find how to do this as I can't find my licence number to do this.

Look, at the end of the day Antares recommended using MM for their product and I'm fed up with MM and wish there was another way to look at the Antares charts which is what I wanted to do in the first place. My intention was to use Navionics for everything and look at Antares for additional information and safety as I sailed the west coast of Scotland this year.

Thanks everyone for the replies and sorry for going on a bit but any help/advice is welcomed:-) Please keep it coming.

Regards,
    H
    Last edited by Harry P; 28-04-19 at 09:37.

I used Antares charts with MemoryMap for a couple of years on the basis of the recommendation from but got fed up with the complexity of setting it up again at the start of each season when the new Antares charts arrived. MM also does everything it can to make life difficult if you don't want to update the admiralty chart package each year. I now use 'Marine Navigator' on my Android devices; integration between the Admiralty charts from VisitMyHarbour and Antares is seamless and setup much more straight forward than for MM. While I'm recommending apps, Absolute Tides is a winner too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast