Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: diesel bug?

Default Re: diesel bug?

Hi mark, could you take the fuel level gauge out and pump the old fuel from there ???in our sealine 360 there quite easy to get at , and then polish it etc ???? I’ve also heard that petrol kills diesel bug not sure if this is true , maybe drain tank and put petrol in there leave to help soften and crap on bottom of tank then re flush a few times , and take the pipe off the filter and attach your dingy pump to and reverse flush the stand pipe in the tank ,
    Nick “Bojangles”

Quote Originally Posted by Restoration man View Post
    Hi mark, could you take the fuel level gauge out and pump the old fuel from there ???in our sealine 360 there quite easy to get at , and then polish it etc ???? I’ve also heard that petrol kills diesel bug not sure if this is true , maybe drain tank and put petrol in there leave to help soften and crap on bottom of tank then re flush a few times , and take the pipe off the filter and attach your dingy pump to and reverse flush the stand pipe in the tank ,
    Nick “Bojangles”
    yes that would give you access for a hose. getting the fuel level sensor back on without leaks takes a lot of patience.

Ok update on this.

I have dismantled and cleaned the filters.

I have shock dosed the tanks.

The port side pipe between the tank and the filter is still blocked.

So I made up a line that I can connect a bike pump to to push the contaminated fuel back into the tank.

I am up to 100 psi and it won’t budge.

I disconnected the pump and 100psi fuel sprayed me and the engine room.

I’ve pumped it back up to 100psi and will leave it overnight. I hope it will have a big fart eventually.

If anyone has any other bright ideas I’d love to hear them. Getting to the bit of the tank where the pipe comes out will cause a cut in finished wood.

I’ve cut under a drawer and can get to the sender now.

I will read any suggestions after my shower........

Can you cut into the pipe closer to the tank where you can later fit a straight coupler ? Then perhaps try feeding some stiff Monel wire, or if the internal diameter is large enough perhaps some galvanised running rigging wire, into the pipe and through the blockage.
    Interested in Corvettes PM me for details of the Corvette Motorboat Association

Quote Originally Posted by superheat6k View Post
    Can you cut into the pipe closer to the tank where you can later fit a straight coupler ? Then perhaps try feeding some stiff Monel wire, or if the internal diameter is large enough perhaps some galvanised running rigging wire, into the pipe and through the blockage.
    Yes. That’s possible. Not easy but possible. Good idea - thanks!

If 100 psi didnt blow it out I'd be looking for something other than fuel bug blockage.

This was the dip tube in my tank.

Diptube.jpg

Made of copper and furred up with a black substance, possibly dead bug. It was partially blocking the tube and bits would ocassionally break free and get deposited in the glass bowl of the Separ filter. I replaced it with a steel dip tube and keep the tank dosed with Grotomar 82. I gather copper is not great long term with diesel and bug - you can see the pitting in the photo below. Strangely there wasn't much grime in the tank other than a 5ml medicine spoon and some kind of soft ball thing!

Diptubeend.jpg

Pitteddiptube.jpg

Fueltank.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Keith-i View Post
    This was the dip tube in my tank.

Diptube.jpg

Made of copper and furred up with a black substance, possibly dead bug. It was partially blocking the tube and bits would ocassionally break free and get deposited in the glass bowl of the Separ filter. I replaced it with a steel dip tube and keep the tank dosed with Grotomar 82. I gather copper is not great long term with diesel and bug - you can see the pitting in the photo below. Strangely there wasn't much grime in the tank other than a 5ml medicine spoon and some kind of soft ball thing!

Diptubeend.jpg

Pitteddiptube.jpg

Fueltank.jpg
    Copper pipes in mine which is worrying

Good news is that it farted. Made a noise like thunder. Now a gentle press of the pump and I can hear the flow into the tank.
    Phew.
    The racor filter was leaking slightly at the middle joint under the pressure so I’ll replace that seal (did you know it’s the same seal as the lid so you get a new one with every cartridge? ) then clean the engine room.

Good result Mark, well done.

Use Chris Curtis Clean Diesel company he operates all over the south coast
    He will suck out fuel, clean out tanks of any sludge

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast