Default Autohelm Ram Servicing

I've bought an old Autohelm 2000, the type with separate ram and control unit. It seems to work very well but is mechanically noisy. I can see how to disassemble the ram (though it says it's sealed for life and maintenance free) but here's the question; if I take it apart will I bugger old seals that are no longer available, and is there anything inside that can be properly lubricated anyway?

If anyone has any experience of these a heads-up would be much appreciated.
    "I thought my daffodils were yellow until I met Joe Kennedy."

Default Re: Autohelm Ram Servicing

Been a while since I last did mine, so forgive me if there's something important left out.

To disassemble unscrew the large bush which the actuating rod passes through into the main body. Mine was very tight and I needed a pipe wrench to start this off. Slide it off. If it sticks on the end of the rod, unscrew the rod end too. This bush has a seal in it, try not to damage it.

Now l think you unscrew the long outer cylinder that the bush was screwed into. Or maybe you don't...

Anyway, sooner or later you will come across the bit you can lubricate. In essence it is a long screw thread inside the cylinder. This interacts with a shuttle thingy connected to the actuating rod. The electric motor, which is in the last bit of the arm near its power cable, spins gears which turn the shuttle which moves along the cylinder taking the pushrod with it.

But although the shuttle is threaded on the outside, it doesn't bear directly on the internal cylinder thread. It has a load of ball bearings which sit between the internal and outside threads, in some kind of recirculating arrangement.

So these ball bearings will probably fall out of the assembly at some point when you're taking it apart. Best not to lose any.

To reassemble, grease the internal cylinder thread and load it up with the ball bearings. Long tweezers help. Then very carefully, screw the shuttle and rod assembly into the cylinder, without knocking any ball bearings off their perches. You have to start again when you do.

And reassemble the rest however it came apart.

Best of luck!

Excellent James, much appreciate your detailed reply. Thanks!
    "I thought my daffodils were yellow until I met Joe Kennedy."

Not sure I've exactly explained the mechanism correctly, but in essence take it apart, work out where the balls fell from, put them back with some grease and reassemble.

the boat i got a year ago came with the same unit. seems to be workign fine. are they waterproof? or do i need to cover with plastic if it rains? thanks

does anyone know if the windvane and remote are available still for it?
    Current boat: 1988 Jeanneau Sundream (lifting center board)

Mine hasn't, as yet, suffered from rain. The seal around the pushrod is probably vulnerable to wear, and lubrication a good idea if it squeaks.

Ebay probably best bet for the wind vane etc, but no idea if it's any good, never had one.