Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Baltic vs Southern Brittany

We are lucky enough to get 5 to 6 weeks off this summer. We have two kids and a dog so looking for pros and cons for each area. We do need to factor in the return journey

Default Re: Baltic vs Southern Brittany

Although I'm a great fan of the Baltic, I don't think that you will get good value in six weeks from the Solent. You will only have a short time there and spend most of it worrying about how to get back. You would really need about three months to enjoy it. I only know northern Brittany but know people who have been to the south. It looks enjoyable, but these things are often a matter of taste. Possibly better food, and a much easier return journey.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

I haven’t been to the Baltic but love Southern Brittany, from the challenging but lovely Chanel du Four and Raz de Sein to the red tiled roofs and warmth appearing as you get towards Benodet. Then all the islands down to La Rochelle and back. A 3 week cruise to there when I was twelve was the one that really switched me on to a sailing holiday being full of swimming, foreign food and beaches as well and (what then seems like) high adventure.

Every body has different tastes and I’ve never liked the Morbihon or the unfriendly dump that is Camaret, but the rest is great.

Baltic is due North! Also http://www.arc2020.eu/factory-farmin...polluted-seas/ is a bit of a deterrant. Most Scandinavians, given the chance, head south.

X
    Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    Although I'm a great fan of the Baltic, I don't think that you will get good value in six weeks from the Solent. You will only have a short time there and spend most of it worrying about how to get back. You would really need about three months to enjoy it. I only know northern Brittany but know people who have been to the south. It looks enjoyable, but these things are often a matter of taste. Possibly better food, and a much easier return journey.
    +1 Been to both from Ipswich. Baltic splendid vast cruising area. Many people overwinter there rather than return each winter so they can explore a bit more each year. Southern Brittany much more do-able in 5/6 weeks. WP you should be able to reach Pte de Penmarche in a week if you press on and that leaves 3 full weeks to explore before starting the return journey which you could take at a more leisurely pace.
    Tip: the French are not stupid. Their summer holidays finish about August 14th. The balmy Souther Brittany summer weather often breaks soon after. Be well on the way home by then!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurrawong_Kid View Post
    X+1 Been to both from Ipswich. Baltic splendid vast cruising area. Many people overwinter there rather than return each winter so they can explore a bit more each year. Southern Brittany much more do-able in 5/6 weeks. WP you should be able to reach Pte de Penmarche in a week if you press on and that leaves 3 full weeks to explore before starting the return journey which you could take at a more leisurely pace.
    Tip: the French are not stupid. Their summer holidays finish about August 14th. The balmy Souther Brittany summer weather often breaks soon after. Be well on the way home by then!
    It used to be 'when the fishermen start hauling in their nets' time to head home, but now, with the dearth of fishermen, I suppose August 14th will do.
    For whatever we lose,(like a you, or a me)
    It's always ourself We find in the sea.

Quote Originally Posted by harry potter View Post
    Baltic is due North! Also http://www.arc2020.eu/factory-farmin...polluted-seas/ is a bit of a deterrant. Most Scandinavians, given the chance, head south.
    By virtue of being in the north, the Baltic enjoys long days and sunsets that seem to go on forever, like Scotland. It can also be stiflingly hot, and settled fine weather is not unusual. I have only ever been kept in port for a day or two in the summer by bad weather, unlike the weeks or more we sometimes get in the Channel. The Swedes go south because there's nowhere else to go other than messing around in Norway, which is no doubt very pleasant but with alcohol that costs even more than in Sweden.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Brittany is gorgeous. Île d'Yeu and Belle Île were particular favourites last year. I think that's south Brittany?

Both are lovely places in their own ways and we have been to both.
    However if you are Solent based and have just 6 weeks then unless you p!an to do some serious mileage in a short period to get there and back then 6 weeks is not going to give you sufficient time to get to the best parts of the Baltic and enjoy them before you then race back.

Not familiar with the Baltic, but have been a few times in Brittany, most recently three years ago. Lovely place with its own culture and strong boating tradition – my impression is that everyone there is familiar with the basics of boating! Extremely windy though... If you are chartering I would recommend Click&Boat, they have boats there at all prices. We hired a Jeanneau Sun Fast from a chap called Jean-Yves. Not to miss: Les Ebihens, Molene, Hoedic and Bono. Couple of lovely islands too but don't remember their names...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast