Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    UK and NW Caribbean, Belize Mexico & Guatemala
    Posts
    362

    Default Marine electronics dealers in the SE

    I am returning to the UK as quite a time away in the jungle so I am out of touch.

    I am looking for recommendations of good marine electronics dealers in the SE – Essex or Suffolk area or in the London area that handle multiple makes that I can go have a meaningful conversation with about features, upgrade options and installation issues rather than just a sales talk.

    I am looking for


    • Hand held GPS Chart plotters and bracket (Something like a GPSMAP78 and a RAM bracket),
    • MFD.s,
    • Chart options - hopefully shareable across devices as I do not want to by the same chart more than once
    • Sonar
    • Radar
    • The ability to be able to upload/download GPX format data across different chart plotters


    Any help gratefully received

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    7,594

    Default Re: Marine electronics dealers in the SE

    Quote Originally Posted by john_q View Post
    I am returning to the UK as quite a time away in the jungle so I am out of touch.

    I am looking for recommendations of good marine electronics dealers in the SE – Essex or Suffolk area or in the London area that handle multiple makes that I can go have a meaningful conversation with about features, upgrade options and installation issues rather than just a sales talk.

    I am looking for


    • Hand held GPS Chart plotters and bracket (Something like a GPSMAP78 and a RAM bracket),
    • MFD.s,
    • Chart options - hopefully shareable across devices as I do not want to by the same chart more than once
    • Sonar
    • Radar
    • The ability to be able to upload/download GPX format data across different chart plotters


    Any help gratefully received
    Peter at PRSComms in Harwich is knowledgeable and very helpful.

    I can answer all of the above questions in a single word though............. Garmin. Does everything you want above, but i'd question the need for a handheld GPS. I have the Garmin Active Captain app' on my phone, this uses my Garmin charts, which i can use on all of my devices (max 2 devices for the app'), so it costs me nothing.
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Medway
    Posts
    19,533

    Default Re: Marine electronics dealers in the SE

    If you really want to get the correct system and be able to get backup afterwards, do not just buy from a chandlery with a pile of boxes on the shelf.
    There are one or two specialists out there.
    Have dealt with PRS in the past, can confirm they really know their stuff.
    If you are prepared to consider alternatives other than brand new, Coastal Rides have been doing some serious deals on ex display kit.
    Last edited by oldgit; 30-04-19 at 07:08.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Mersea, UK
    Posts
    314

    Default Re: Marine electronics dealers in the SE

    Henry at Fox’s chandlery was very helpful when I switched to Garmin kit.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    7,594

    Default Re: Marine electronics dealers in the SE

    Quote Originally Posted by tjbrace View Post
    Henry at Fox’s chandlery was very helpful when I switched to Garmin kit.
    Unfortunately, Henry is no longer there.
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Mersea, UK
    Posts
    314

    Default Re: Marine electronics dealers in the SE

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulRainbow View Post
    Unfortunately, Henry is no longer there.
    Oh dear! Another vote for PRS then.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    85

    Default Re: Marine electronics dealers in the SE

    David at Hudson Marine is exceptionally knowledgeable and customer focused. His prices are also as good as you will get anywhere online, but he's a real shop with real installers (3 teams). Based at Mercury Marina.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    1,589

    Default Re: Marine electronics dealers in the SE

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulRainbow View Post
    I can answer all of the above questions in a single word though............. Garmin. Does everything you want above, but i'd question the need for a handheld GPS. I have the Garmin Active Captain app' on my phone, this uses my Garmin charts, which i can use on all of my devices (max 2 devices for the app'), so it costs me nothing.
    +1 on Garmin, particularly given the quality of their support by email and phone. Unfortunately my experience with retailers would not lead me to recommend any of the ones that I've used (including I'm afraid Hudson).

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Plymouth
    Posts
    8,374

    Default Re: Marine electronics dealers in the SE

    Garmin have been moaned about on here for not supporting older chart formats. Might be worth thinking about.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Now in Brixham
    Posts
    497

    Default Re: Marine electronics dealers in the SE

    Quote Originally Posted by oldgit View Post
    If you really want to get the correct system and be able to get backup afterwards, do not just buy from a chandlery with a pile of boxes on the shelf.
    There are one or two specialists out there.
    Have dealt with PRS in the past, can confirm they really know their stuff.
    If you are prepared to consider alternatives other than brand new, Coastal Rides have been doing some serious deals on ex display kit.
    +1 for PRS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to