Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Survival/Immersion/Drysuits

I have a breathable Typhoon drysuit that I bought for winter canoe trips . I find it fine and comfy to wear EXCEPT the neoprene neck seal, which I soon get very aware of, to the extent that I seldom wear it for yachting, though it is on board.

Quote Originally Posted by fredrussell View Post
    I have a breathable Typhoon drysuit that I bought for winter canoe trips . I find it fine and comfy to wear EXCEPT the neoprene neck seal, which I soon get very ‘aware’ of, to the extent that I seldom wear it for yachting, though it is on board.
    Dry suits come with seals that are intentionally too tight and are meant to be trimmed (sharp scissors). Divers like them snug, but sailors can be more relaxed, so long as there is some tension and no gap. You should NOT be "aware" of the seal.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

T
    Quote Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
    Dry suits come with seals that are intentionally too tight and are meant to be trimmed (sharp scissors). Divers like them snug, but sailors can be more relaxed, so long as there is some tension and no gap. You should NOT be "aware" of the seal.
    Yup, but take it in stages, 10mm at a time, as the seals cost a bit to replace! And do use some “seal saver” on them; not only does it make them last but it helps to get them on and off. And lubricate the zip with the right stuff, too.

I carry a Fladen flotation suit ( 2 piece ) for when its cold or for those overnight watches. Its a little bulkier than my normal wet weather gear and it might not be the height of fashion as its really designed for fishing/workwear but is beautifully warm and should keep me warm in the briney for a while if Im unfortunate enough to go overboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Praxinoscope View Post
    I carry a Fladen flotation suit ( 2 piece ) for when it’s cold or for those overnight watches. It’s a little bulkier than my normal wet weather gear and it might not be the height of fashion as it’s really designed for fishing/workwear but is beautifully warm and should keep me warm in the briney for a while if I’m unfortunate enough to go overboard.
    I've always been interested in those. The brands that sell in the US are stupid expensive (small cold water market) and the imported ones are nearly as bad after shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by fredrussell View Post
    I have a breathable Typhoon drysuit that I bought for winter canoe trips . I find it fine and comfy to wear EXCEPT the neoprene neck seal, which I soon get very ‘aware’ of, to the extent that I seldom wear it for yachting, though it is on board.
    I have a Typhoon drysuit. I put a small tear in it, so I sent it back to them. While they had it for repair I got them to adjust the fit of the neck, mine was slightly slack on me.
    They took a small 'tuck' in the neck.
    Unlike the latex seals, neoprene seals, (like thin wetsuit material) can be adjusted.
    My expericence is that Typhoon are top people when it comes to after-sales. Give them a ring.
    Alternatively, dive shops often do drysuit repairs, if there's a good one nearby it saves time and postage.

Also I've seen divers wearing a strange collar 'tube' malarkey between the seal and their neck, which apparently stops the edge of the seal cutting in.

For those who do carry/wear dry suits which style do you go for?

Seem to be 2 main options - those designed for kayaking / dinghy sailing that are simply a dry suit and those designed for sailing that have many of the features of oilies (hoods, pockets etc). Those strike me as being more cumbersome (I wear my ocean oilies as rarely as possible)

I used my kayaking ones as I already had them, they are cut slightly different from sailing ones but still very comfortable, the main difference in many is the position of the zip, some need help to put on, mine can just about be done on my own, shoulder to shoulder but takes some doing. The front zips are good but I find them uncomfortable with LJ on. Mine also has front and side chest pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by bedouin View Post
    For those who do carry/wear dry suits which style do you go for?

Seem to be 2 main options - those designed for kayaking / dinghy sailing that are simply a dry suit and those designed for sailing that have many of the features of oilies (hoods, pockets etc). Those strike me as being more cumbersome (I wear my ocean oilies as rarely as possible)
    Second hand Goretex Multifabs survival suit as worn by people travelling via helicopter to oil rigs. Vertical zip so quick to put on. Look after seals. Use zip lube. Had it for years. Still leak proof. Very comfortable to wear. Has one pocket only. Bright orange. Multifabs now owned by different company that makes suits for SAR etc etc. New ones cost loads and loads. Mine is older version of this one below. Mine has vertical zip. Quite difficult to buy them now. On ebay for about 100 now and again. (Bargain). The Goretex socks are great as fit trainers or boots.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Survival-...wAAOSwF8BcYaex

Quote Originally Posted by Praxinoscope View Post
    I carry a Fladen flotation suit ( 2 piece ) for when it’s cold or for those overnight watches. It’s a little bulkier than my normal wet weather gear and it might not be the height of fashion as it’s really designed for fishing/workwear but is beautifully warm and should keep me warm in the briney for a while if I’m unfortunate enough to go overboard.
    No deal for me:
    "One of the criteria of the ISO 15027-1 test is that the wearer must not lose more than 2C of their body temperature during one hour in 5C water. The test result with the Fladen suit was 1.2C."
    - means that a single hour and my body temp is 35.3C. I want to be alive in 2 days if necessary...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast