Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Contessa 26 rubbing against swinging mooring

Quote Originally Posted by john_q View Post
    We had a folkboat on a swinging mooring and we had to hoist the rope up tight util the buoy was touching the bow fairlead
    My solution too back in the distant past, even on a medium fin keeler. Also used our own soft buoy like the offshore pot buoys with no top ring and took strop from just below it, directly on the swivel. Even some plastic buoys, like visitor buoys off Yarmouth IOW, cause chafe in wind over tide, but the haul up tight method works and stops the clink clank from the strop to top ring connection.
    Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and without any warranty!

I have used the short strop on my Contessa without any problem for nearly 40 years but it may depend on your mooring configuration. When I was on an exposed mooring I had a ground chain that would lift off the seabed to absorb any shock loads. I am now on a very sheltered mooring with a concrete block but the waves rarely get more than a couple of feet.
    Probably best for the OP to try out the suggestions to see what suits his boat and the mooring location as there is no universal solution that works for every situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    My solution too back in the distant past, even on a medium fin keeler. Also used our own soft buoy like the offshore pot buoys with no top ring and took strop from just below it, directly on the swivel. Even some plastic buoys, like visitor buoys off Yarmouth IOW, cause chafe in wind over tide, but the haul up tight method works and stops the clink clank from the strop to top ring connection.
    Same here.
    With our small boat, we found the weight of the mooring on the bow stopped the cockpit from draining properly though! Also the bow paint above the boot top frew slime as it was often wet.

Thanks to everyone for keeping the suggestions coming.

Thinking about it a bit more, you'd think the problem is that the buoy is always ~100% set by the tide and the boat is more by the wind. But what I saw was the boat pretty much pointing into the tide but at the same time driving up against the buoy. So I'm still unsure what will work. I can see the bowsprit idea is best in theory as it would positively stop the boat getting too close to the buoy, but as I said before I'm wary of how to rig one effectively without causing possible damage to deck fittings, which aren't very big. I can easily get 2-3 ft waves on the mooring.

So I think I'll try pulling the strop up as far as I can and/or dare initially, and if that doesn't work try a small bucket off the stern.

I am sure I don't need to tell you about windage: Do you have the spray-hood down and the dodgers off?

Quote Originally Posted by STOL71 View Post
    I am sure I don't need to tell you about windage: Do you have the spray-hood down and the dodgers off?
    I don't have spray dodgers but I am leaving the spray hood up - it would be a real pain to remove it each time I leave the mooring and I've never seen anyone else feel they need to do this.

The boat is still pointing towards the tide, it just seems somehow that even under bare poles she's just generating enough forward thrust to drive up to the buoy, if that sounds possible? Because she doesn't point towards the wind at all when she's rubbing on the buoy.

She probably tries to settle stern to wind, that's what my long keeler does, similar hull with a transom hung rudder.
    When moored or at anchor in strong winds or light winds just before/after slack water, the wind on the beam or just off the bow, she tries to turn stern to wind because of the cut away long keel (less resistance in the water near the bow). I guess you have to come to terms with that perculiarity of long keelers.
    Use to your advantage when reversing the boat under engine.

She probably tries to settle stern to wind, that's what my long keeler does, similar hull with a transom hung rudder.
    When moored or at anchor in strong winds or light winds just before/after slack water, the wind on the beam or just off the bow, she tries to turn stern to wind because of the cut away long keel (less resistance in the water near the bow). I guess you have to come to terms with that perculiarity of long keelers.
    That's a really interesting observation, hadn't thought of that. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny A View Post
    .................................................. ...................

So I think I'll try pulling the strop up as far as I can and/or dare initially, and if that doesn't work try a small bucket off the stern.
    I have the same problem and it drives me crazy. From my experience, you are on the right track with the bucket. In principle it works really well, but you need quite a large sea anchor instead. You have to experiment with the size and make sure you won't drag the mooring ;-). Make sure you have a trip line on the free end of the anchor by which you can kill it.
    Another problem is, when the tide stops and reverses, the anchor sinks and will foul the rudder or prop. Small buoys on the each end of the anchor may help, but then the setup tends to tangle. There doesn't seem to be light at the end of this tunnel...
    Last edited by jiris; 03-05-19 at 07:53.

Definitely not just long-keelers. Mine has a very short keel and does the same. Tends to ride over the mooring even in light winds and with the windage reduced to bare bones. It put me in a few sticky situations on some anchorages and makes me very worried each time I have current and wind in opposing directions.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast