Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy A former RNLI Clyde class lifeboat (70' long) for sale

I receive occasional emails from a Scandinavian ship broker with interesting commercial (or former commercial) vessels for sale. And this evening I found an email with this link.

https://www.shipsforsale.com/en/ship...mini-explorer/

She was formerly called 'City of Bristol' when she was with the RNLI, and she is the third of three Clyde class vessels that were built. Her home port was Clovelly.
    Lots of good background info about her and her sister ships here -
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clyde-class_lifeboat

For all Gardner fans, she has a pair of 8L3B engines, each developing 230 hp at 1,150 rpm.
    They were installed in 1974, and have approx 12,000 hours on them so far, so just about run in.....
    The engine room is very clean and tidy - not much in the way of bilge photos, but I would hope that they are also in pretty good condition.

No connection whatsoever - I just have a soft spot for these vessels. I spent some time working in the RNLI design office 30 years ago, and the father of one of my colleagues (who is still there) was a former coxswain of this vessel.
    Last edited by Bajansailor; 01-05-19 at 03:59.

Default Re: A former RNLI Clyde class lifeboat (70' long) for sale

That is lovely. A proper ship.

Impressive stuff indeed.
    The displacement hull seems better suited to cruising rather than rescue, btw.
    Makes one wonder what the RNLI design briefing was...
    As a cruising machine, the engines hours would be the last of my concerns.
    The 740 liters waste oil tank, on the other hand...

A fine ship alright!

Interesting that they switched designers from Richard Oakley to John Tyrell for the second boat and they back to Oakley for this boat. I know nothing of Oakley but John Tyrell boats have a huge reputation for commercial and long range pleasure craft, power and sail.

Quote Originally Posted by Bajansailor View Post
    I receive occasional emails from a Scandinavian ship broker with interesting commercial (or former commercial) vessels for sale. And this evening I found an email with this link.

https://www.shipsforsale.com/en/ship...mini-explorer/

She was formerly called 'City of Bristol' when she was with the RNLI, and she is the third of three Clyde class vessels that were built. Her home port was Clovelly.
    Lots of good background info about her and her sister ships here -
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clyde-class_lifeboat

For all Gardner fans, she has a pair of 8L3B engines, each developing 230 hp at 1,150 rpm.
    They were installed in 1974, and have approx 12,000 hours on them so far, so just about run in.....
    The engine room is very clean and tidy - not much in the way of bilge photos, but I would hope that they are also in pretty good condition.

No connection whatsoever - I just have a soft spot for these vessels. I spent some time working in the RNLI design office 30 years ago, and the father of one of my colleagues (who is still there) was a former coxswain of this vessel.
    The engines are worth the asking price alone the vessel is free

I've always wanted an ex-lifeboat ever since going down the St.Mary's, Scillies, lifeboat slip standing on the back deck of the Guy & Clare Hunter, cox Boy Matt Lethbridge. Very exciting for a teenager! This one looks good in the photographs but a bit scruffy in the video!
    Last edited by Kingfisher 5; 01-05-19 at 13:58.

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    Impressive stuff indeed.
    The displacement hull seems better suited to cruising rather than rescue, btw.
    Makes one wonder what the RNLI design briefing was...
    As a cruising machine, the engines hours would be the last of my concerns.
    The 740 liters waste oil tank, on the other hand...
    The design brief was exactly that, ie for a 'cruising' lifeboat that patrols the coast.
    This one (#003) patrolled the North Cornwall coast and the Bristol Channel; One of the others was a relief vessel, and one was based in Kirkwall, far up north in the Orkney islands north of Scotland.
    They are an excellent design for heavy weather patrolling for sure.

interesting vessel

would like to see how it ends up being (converted and) used!
    if someone wants to really turn it into a pleasure vessel, they need to rip off everything fitted (all interior is really hideous...) and start afresh.
    that's going to be a looong process, good retirement project though (especially if it was 10ft shorter and a couple of dozen tons lighter

cheers

V.

Quote Originally Posted by vas View Post
    interesting vessel

would like to see how it ends up being (converted and) used!
    if someone wants to really turn it into a pleasure vessel, they need to rip off everything fitted (all interior is really hideous...) and start afresh.
    that's going to be a looong process, good retirement project though (especially if it was 10ft shorter and a couple of dozen tons lighter

cheers

V.
    If anyone can do it Vas.....

I feel a Mitos II coming on..

Quote Originally Posted by Bajansailor View Post
    The design brief was exactly that, ie for a 'cruising' lifeboat that patrols the coast.
    Modelled on the German lifesaving practice, I understand. But didn't really fit with how the RNLI works, so while the two boats were in service for a while, I don't believe they actually operated in "cruising" mode for very long before reverting to normal call-out practice which they weren't particularly well-designed for.

Pete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast