Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Default traditional long-keeled yachts are the most intrinsically seaworthy.

From the YBW article on the Golden Globe race.

Default Re: traditional long-keeled yachts are the most intrinsically seaworthy.

No catamarans in the Golden Globe so it's missing the creme de la seaworthy creme.

Richard

Default Re: traditional long-keeled yachts are the most intrinsically seaworthy.

I suppose a log of wood is pretty seaworthy but it is sadly lacking in other design aspects which make sailing enjoyable.
    I'd rather be tethered to a pad eye than tethered to an iPad.

Long keel yachts are great to sail and encompass all the attributes that make sailing enjoyable,, my old Invicta 26 was a dream to sail, light on the helm, stable in a blow and comfortable in all conditions. OK not so good astern under engine, but once you had learned the trick no worse than any other yacht.
    The only reason I sold her was to adopt a different mooring not really suitable for a long keel and to reach some harbours that were difficult for her.

South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by KellysEye View Post
    From the YBW article on the Golden Globe race.

The trouble with the OP is the definition-or lack of-the term "Seaworthy"

My last two vessels have been heavy long keelers, albeit with the patent Island Packet shallow draught" Full Foil Keels "

When at sea in moderate conditions the motion of the vessel is slow and soft compared to flatter, lighter more contemporary fin keel and spade rudder vessels-of which I also have owned two. It is far more pleasant and quieter with hardly any slamming, even when in wind over tide conditions where the odd big hole in the water appears.

But is it more seaworthy?

I cant say, but in a tight Marina or going astern, I and First Mate wish we had an easier to manouver vessel!

Folkboat with a 360 outboard, such as a Honda 2.3, covers all of the above.
    Folkboat 'Stakkr' - Inverness - http://islandrov.wix.com/island-rov-web

Quote Originally Posted by Praxinoscope View Post
    Long keel yachts are great to sail and encompass all the attributes that make sailing enjoyable
    All the attributes that make sailing enjoyable to you.
    I want a yacht that is responsive, fast - even in light airs. A boat that will plane under the right conditions. Good (excellent) upwind performance. Comfortable and spacious below (which probably means a bit beamy for a long keel)
    Give me a nice fin keeler any day...
    Save someone's life ... https://www.mind.org.uk/donate

Seaworthy, keel tends to stay on, easy to heave to, good sea motion, keep their course - very enjoyable sailing!

Quote Originally Posted by STOL71 View Post
    Seaworthy, keel tends to stay on, easy to heave to, good sea motion, keep their course - very enjoyable sailing!
    I am sure that are all these but they are also slow compared to a fin and skeg boat of the same size. We have two sets of friends who have just sailed from Panama to the Marquesas. 4000nm distance. The Island Packet 45 (modern long keel) set off 5 days before Trintella 45 (fin and skeg). The Trintella passed the IP and arrived a day earlier than IP in to Marquesas. To take six days out of a boat of the same size on such a trip shows the vast difference in performance.
    The Trintella is actually a heavier boat than the IP!

Ive heard of a similar passage with two similar boats, the long keeler arrived at its destination...

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast