Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: traditional long-keeled yachts are the most intrinsically seaworthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Just_sayin' View Post
    So, to sum up your lengthy post, the best boat for you is the one you own.

Where have I consistently read that before?

Oh, here
    If that's the best you can manage maybe you should stick to Twitter.

Arrived. But thinking of a bit more east.

Default Re: traditional long-keeled yachts are the most intrinsically seaworthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher 5 View Post
    If that's the best you can manage maybe you should stick to Twitter.
    Had Halberg Rassy 46 Sold it Subsequently did 4 Transats Crew v happy.

Quote Originally Posted by geem View Post
    To be far to the IP or any other long keeler, its not a racing yacht. It doesnt need eight hairy arsed sailors to cross an ocean. Its a cruising boat. In the same F7 where you would have two on the helm and somebody to dump the main. The IP would have a husband and wife. Thats what cruising boats are for so making comparisons about what you would do with your 7 hairy arsed mates is of little relevance.
    I think that was exactly what I said: the more traditional boat is probably easier to sail in heavy weather. That was not necessarily the point of the discussion, though: I replied to a post which claimed to make a comparison of the Vendee and the GGR, one in state-of-the-art ocean racers, one in aged cruisers, and both with the same number of crew. Given that each yacht crossing the finish line in these races has covered tens of thousands of miles of ocean sailing, we can hope that they have been exposed to a realistic blend of ocean conditions. The result appears to be that the loss rates are not that different—so if one is talking merely about survival rates, maybe there isn't as much in it as certain people would have us think

Quote Originally Posted by weustace View Post
    I think that was exactly what I said: the more traditional boat is probably easier to sail in heavy weather. That was not necessarily the point of the discussion, though: I replied to a post which claimed to make a comparison of the Vendee and the GGR, one in state-of-the-art ocean racers, one in aged cruisers, and both with the same number of crew. Given that each yacht crossing the finish line in these races has covered tens of thousands of miles of ocean sailing, we can hope that they have been exposed to a realistic blend of ocean conditions. The result appears to be that the loss rates are not that different—so if one is talking merely about survival rates, maybe there isn't as much in it as certain people would have us think
    I think issue on this post is that people interpret it as my lightweight AWB is every bit as good a long keel boat for ocean sailing. I might be wrong. My view is that I dont think that it the case. I dont have a long keel boat but I have sailed on them. I dont have a lightweight fin keel boat but I have sailed on many. Given a full gale 1000nm from land I would choose the heavy long keel boat over the lightweight fin and spade rudder boat simply for comfort. A gale can be very uncomfortable but a kindly sea motion will see you better rested, better fed, less stressed amd better able to deal with issues as they arise. I sail a heavy displacement deep fin and skeg yacht that I beleive offers similar benefits in terms of sea motion to a longkeel design but also ensures we have good windward performance. Having our c of g lower than a full keel design means we carry a taller mast and we can stand up to our canvas better. Every boat is a compromise and people choose them for their own reasons and intended use. We chose ours and have never regreted it

Quote Originally Posted by Resolution View Post
    I started sailing with a Folkboat with an inboard engine, about forty years ago. With your outboard, what speed to windward can you manage in a short choppy sea?
    I've an inboard also, it's a boot and braces set-up that I've gone for. I've a 6hp inboard, that really needs all of the help that it can get from the Honda, so we can do 4.5kts in calm sea, and haven't been troubled into a chop when mooring for example. The Honda has had an 'extra' section added to the shaft, which was already the long shaft version to prevent cavitation. With the Honda alone on the flat she'll do 3.8kts, but struggles in any sea or wind.
    Folkboat 'Stakkr' - Inverness - http://islandrov.wix.com/island-rov-web

Had Halberg Rassy 46 Sold it Subsequently did 4 Transats Crew v happy.
    Then you shouldn't have implied that the man's post was boring.
    Last edited by Kingfisher 5; 02-05-19 at 15:49.

South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by geem View Post
    Every boat is a compromise and people choose them for their own reasons and intended use. We chose ours and have never regreted it

And there you have it-a perfect reply.

Brent Swain has sailed for 40 years in his home made origami steel boat and never required a refrigerator.

I would not get First Mate aboard without one. And the washing machine-have I mentioned the washing machine...................................

Quote Originally Posted by rotrax View Post

Brent Swain has sailed for 40 years in his home made origami steel boat and never required a refrigerator.

I would not get First Mate aboard without one. And the washing machine-have I mentioned the washing machine...................................
    Haha, yes. We have just purchased a second refrigerator. We took the washing machine out but we do have a high speed spinner,

Quote Originally Posted by rotrax View Post

Perfect
    Flying birds have no master

ip485.

The Brent Swain of his marque of boat
    I dont very often say this but that is the most pointless comment I have read in sometime.

It is a shame when threads dont flow with relevant contributions and digress to rather pointless digs. I do like my yacht, but, as I said, I like and have sailed everthing from 505s, Boss, Fireballs 49ers, Moths (that one was real fun) to pedigree Ocean racers. I dont say that as a boast, just to point out that I have enjoyed the experience of everyone in a different way.

So please lets not get involved in stupid digs.

Please forgive me for being so blunt and I am sure you didnt mean to.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast