Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 41 to 46 of 46
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    2,133

    Default Re: Milford Haven to Falmouth

    Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    I suspect it's the off-puttingly named Doom Bar which, I believe is named after the colour of its sand.
    Nope! Nuttin' to do with the sand. It's named after the quite-moorish cask beer, brewed just across the estuary at Rock.


    Do have a prepared 'pilotage plan' for getting into Padstow. It's confusing in the dark, and the deeper water is not in the middle of the approach. Do it by the book....
    Last edited by zoidberg; 07-05-19 at 20:43.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Colwell Bay
    Posts
    5,525

    Default Re: Milford Haven to Falmouth

    Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    I have just tried Google sat view & cannot see any rock
    How far off the shore is it?
    Looks like Lands End to Longstone is 1.16 statute miles, so bang on a nautical mile, rock is pretty much central to the gap.

    See image.

    lands end.PNG

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Southminster, essex
    Posts
    8,996

    Default Re: Milford Haven to Falmouth

    Quote Originally Posted by burgundyben View Post
    Looks like Lands End to Longstone is 1.16 statute miles, so bang on a nautical mile, rock is pretty much central to the gap.

    See image.

    lands end.PNG
    That it explains it. No point in going right out there. I wanted to go to Milford haven--- not the Scillies . I was only 300 yds off shore & 50-100 yds off the 2 rocky points. The clue is in "Inshore route"
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Colwell Bay
    Posts
    5,525

    Default Re: Milford Haven to Falmouth

    Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    That it explains it. No point in going right out there. I wanted to go to Milford haven--- not the Scillies . I was only 300 yds off shore & 50-100 yds off the 2 rocky points. The clue is in "Inshore route"
    Thanks.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Eastern Atlantic seaboard
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Milford Haven to Falmouth

    Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    Nope! Nuttin' to do with the sand. It's named after the quite-moorish cask beer, brewed just across the estuary at Rock.


    Do have a prepared 'pilotage plan' for getting into Padstow. It's confusing in the dark, and the deeper water is not in the middle of the approach. Do it by the book....
    My experience of doing it by 'the book', Reeds in this instance, involved skulking in an uncomfortable anchorage off The Mouls for 4 hours waiting to cross the bar at HW-2 at 3AM. Least depth was 6.5m and we picked up a pot marker in the dark. Books, eh! Anyone would think they were authored by the risk-averse with sueingophobia.
    I'd rather be tethered to a pad eye than tethered to an iPad.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Bristol Channel
    Posts
    596

    Default Re: Milford Haven to Falmouth

    Certainly dont lurk by The Mouls, lurk by Stepper Point unless rolling in from SW storm in which case the surf near Doom Bar might preclude going in anyway. Lots of pots by by the Mouls and we got completely crab potted and needed to Pan Pan. (RNLI practicing came over with giant meat cleaver on long stick and that sorted it!). Most pots in the area are marked with dirty grey cloth on small sticks on algae covered oil floats and can just about be seen 1 boat length away at night, but I still love Padstow.

    Just keep to port till you pass the bar and slowly move to starboard by the time you get to harbour. Its all well marked and you can get in a considerable either side of HW depending on your draught.
    A boat is for going places

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to