Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Milford Haven to Falmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    When I first did it I called at a Newlyn pub to ask some fishermen for advice, about the inshore route at lands end.
    No point in going the long way round outside.
    Their advice was " If you see a rock, don't hit it, Otherwise you are OK"
    Actually it is not bad advice. It is deep water all the way through, except where there are rocks & you can see them inshore- so do not hit them & you are Ok
    I asked about the tides as Reeds showed some weird tidal flows.
    One fisherman replied" Listen mate I've been fishing here 40 years & i still have not worked em out round there. Just b..dy go. Nothing to worry about,"
    He was right really.
    The trip took me about 24 hours Newlyn to MH both times, but that is with head wind across the Bristol Channel (31 ft boat) & motoring through the inshore passage both times.
    Between Lands End and Longships, roughly in the middle, there is a rock, which side did you go?

Quote Originally Posted by burgundyben View Post
    Between Lands End and Longships, roughly in the middle, there is a rock, which side did you go?
    To be honest I cannot recall. I had neither detailed chart nor chart plotter. Both times I just followed a short distance from the coast (& rocks) until I could turn the corner for MH.
    I motored that short coastal bit for ease. I just know that the echo sounder showed ample depth.
    Actually, I did have charts, but they were passage charts, so Newlyn, for instance, was not marked. Hence the chat in the pub.

Edit: Just borrowed a copy of Imray C7 & there is no rock charted, that I could see, in the middle of the channel. Once through the gap head north for the west of Beesons rock, or in your case south after Beesons.Then keep close inshore. there are 2 points of interest on the shore, but I could see them both, so I did not hit them, as advised by the fisherman
    Last edited by Daydream believer; 03-05-19 at 16:52.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Quote Originally Posted by rotrax View Post
    Is that because the sand is Doom coloured? What IS the colour of Doom?
    Dun coloured. (Cornwall has its own language and nationhood, its merely ruled by England)
    A boat is for going places

+1 for going via the Scillies if you have a tender and the conditions are right.
    Do everyone a favour - Smile !

Quote Originally Posted by Halo View Post
    +1 for going via the Scillies if you have a tender and the conditions are right.
    I like the Scillies a lot. Used them as a jumping off point a couple of times for a direct Biscay crossing to Bayona
    https://youtu.be/snAKIOEPVYo panama canal
    www:michaelbriant.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Devil View Post
    I like the Scillies a lot. Used them as a jumping off point a couple of times for a direct Biscay crossing to Bayona
    I like the Scillies to much to willingly miss them, and I used them as jump point for Ushant. I only came back via Landsend when in hurry from Brittany. Having said that Landsend proved not that difficult even in fog with chartplotter but it would have been nice to actually see Wolf rock.
    A boat is for going places

Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
    There are none, from Milford, unless you see Newlyn as a plan B.

Get a mate, enough diesel, pot noodles and pucker up.
    I did exactly this last summer. 44hrs MH to Falmouth with either little or bad wind all the way :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    Done it a few times solo in both directions: MH to Lundy to Padstow to Newlyn (Porth Curno if wind and swell favourable) then Falmouth.
    It's 80 miles MH (overnight at Dale on the pontoon to save a 6 mile slog out of the marina into prevailing westerlies) to Padstow if you want to miss Lundy otherwise the longest leg is Padstow-Newlyn at 60 miles and mostly favourable tides. Not sure why Padstow has the reputation it has; I suspect it's the off-puttingly named Doom Bar which, I believe is named after the colour of its sand. Any conditions which make Padstow inaccessible rule out a trip around The Land. Plus Padstow is a beautiful harbour, best in UK, IMO.
    +1 We purposely stop off at Padstow as a nice place to stay

Leaving Padstow on a good tide and wind I've several times hit St Ives a the perfect time to go inside Lands End. But that does mean a long day.

Lundy has an anchorage on the West side too - although you can't go ashore from there

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    To be honest I cannot recall. I had neither detailed chart nor chart plotter. Both times I just followed a short distance from the coast (& rocks) until I could turn the corner for MH.
    I motored that short coastal bit for ease. I just know that the echo sounder showed ample depth.
    Actually, I did have charts, but they were passage charts, so Newlyn, for instance, was not marked. Hence the chat in the pub.

Edit: Just borrowed a copy of Imray C7 & there is no rock charted, that I could see, in the middle of the channel. Once through the gap head north for the west of Beesons rock, or in your case south after Beesons.Then keep close inshore. there are 2 points of interest on the shore, but I could see them both, so I did not hit them, as advised by the fisherman
    Only just noticed the edit. Very clear on google maps satellite view and can be seen on google streetview pictures thingy. Curious.

Quote Originally Posted by burgundyben View Post
    Only just noticed the edit. Very clear on google maps satellite view and can be seen on google streetview pictures thingy. Curious.
    I have just tried Google sat view & cannot see any rock
    How far off the shore is it?
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast