Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AIS websites.

Default AIS websites.

I was looking at a ais website to track a friend who is heading for the canneries and noticed that they are all a day out of date?
    A boat that left yesterday is still showing?
    Is there a reason they are all behind? And for some reason I added my boat on vessel finder over a year ago and it doesn’t show anymore?
    I'm so busy thinking "Can I" that i never stop to think "Should I"

Default Re: AIS websites.

Marinetraffic seems to have a lot more base stations than vesselfinder, mine shows pretty quick when powered up on MT but never yet on VF.

My wife reported us as overdue when our boat, with me a couple of friends on it, disappeared from Marine Traffic for 18 hours, we were on passage well offshore and the base stations were not picking us up. Coastguard in France contacted us by VHF when we showed up on their AIS.

I don't really believe any of them that much. Marine traffic has not shown me for best part of a year but Vessel finder consistently displays my movements.
    Different base stations used for data I assume.

I show up regularly on marine traffic.
    If it gets an update for a boat from a base station, it will update the position, but if not I think it will continue to show the most recent plot for a fair amount of time, hence some boats can have a plot that is a day out of date, but others will be seconds old.

Quote Originally Posted by Polly's Kettle View Post
    I show up regularly on marine traffic.
    If it gets an update for a boat from a base station, it will update the position, but if not I think it will continue to show the most recent plot for a fair amount of time, hence some boats can have a plot that is a day out of date, but others will be seconds old.
    Yes, agreed. Just checked marine traffic and it still shows me in a boatyard I left 10 days ago, that's a first for a long time. Vessel finder however is spot on and getting regular data.

And now i've disappeared from the boatyard and can't be seen anywhere. Just illustrates the uselessness of internet ais in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by greeny View Post
    And now i've disappeared from the boatyard and can't be seen anywhere. Just illustrates the uselessness of internet ais in my opinion.
    They seek him here....

ANd agree, using web ais for nav can be worse than nothing.

Handy for seeing where the gang are now sometimes though.

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    They seek him here....

ANd agree, using web ais for nav can be worse than nothing.

Handy for seeing where the gang are now sometimes though.
    Yes, I like following my flotilla, as they call it, but I have to keep deleting them when they sell their boats.

My biggest shock was to find a photo of my boat in a German harbour, uploaded by a German friend of Big Brother.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

mine shows up with 3-5min updates on MT and VF, consistently in port for the last couple of years that I have AIS on.
    I'm "lost" from both when going around the isles though only to reappear halfway through the 20nm dia bay reaching port...

I find MT useful when I'm away from home as a confirmation that boat's not sunk Have a tab on chrome always looking at the local port just for that

V.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast