Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Single handed?

Default Single handed?

Just wanted to get a few thoughts on single handed cruising.

I have a 50' Phantom and due to our business commitments, my crew will not be around as much to help this summer.

Do you guys think a 50 ft'er is a bit big to handle |(docking really) or am I just being a wuss.

I had a much smaller 7m pilothouse boat and actually single handed it 90% of the time, but the Phantom is obviously much bigger/more expensive.

Do many of you single hand yours...and do you have any good tips/advice/comments?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Paul_S123; 01-05-19 at 18:19.

Default Re: Single handed?

I single hand about 30% of the time, ours is a 48’ 25 ton boat. I prefer to have crew, but when alone it’s more about anticipation and pre planning, fenders, lines, tide, wind etc. I quite enjoy the extra challenge.

Med stern to or a pontoon ?

I would imagine pontoon is simpler.

Single handed is ok but fenders , lines etc must all be set in advance.

I do In in calm weather. I would not do med stern too berthing in a strong wind unless I knew that there was a boat either side and I was safe in the slot.

A trick I was taught for med berthing is have a line on the centre cleat. Cleat to the boat next door and you wonít move whilst you do the lines.

Med stern to

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_S123 View Post
    Med stern to
    Ah, now that’s something I wouldn’t really want to do single handed in a boat of your size!

Best advice for single handing, get a crew

I’ve got a Broom 42cl and sadly now am single handed 90% of the time. I don’t find handling the boat on my own a problem, the biggest difficulty is dealing with the ropes and fenders which means being away from the helm. Leaving a mooring is relatively simple as I can clear the fenders on one side before casting off, and can single up the mooring lines so I only have a waist line to deal with. The major problem is preparing for mooring when you may not know which side to you’re going meaning you have to do the ropes and fenders both sides. While you’re doing that the boat can wander a long way in any kind of breeze or current. The solution is to have a remote control fitted the the bow thruster (and stern thruster if you have one) so you can operate them from the deck while you’re preparing everything. That way you have reasonable control of the boat while the helm is unattended.

Edited to add that I’ve just seen you’re mooring med stern to but remotes would still probably help.
    Last edited by Wavey; 02-05-19 at 07:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_S123 View Post
    Just wanted to get a few thoughts on single handed cruising.

I have a 50' Phantom and due to our business commitments, my crew will not be around as much to help this summer.

Do you guys think a 50 ft'er is a bit big to handle |(docking really) or am I just being a wuss.

I had a much smaller 7m pilothouse boat and actually single handed it 90% of the time, but the Phantom is obviously much bigger/more expensive.

Do many of you single hand yours...and do you have any good tips/advice/comments?

Thanks.

I have a Mainship 390 and I tend to do 50/50 crew single handed, I find our moorings easy for single handing operation, going into say Ramsgate I try and stay on an outside Pontoon if they allow me to.

My boat is a single engine and a bow Thurster. I find single handed a great challenge in planning and achievement

I have a side door on the Starboard side and I keep lines ready at mid ship, i also have a midship cleat that i always tie up before I do the aft and Bow.

If it hasn't got one fit a sternthruster.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast