Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default How to sell a boat quickly?

I am need of advice.....

I've inherited a Sadler 29 which now needs to be sold. She was in use up to September last year and is general in good nick for the age but (as with any boat I guess) will need a few things sorting, not least her bottom scrubbed and seacocks serviced. (still in the water)

My issue is that I have limited time to do anything to her myself but really need to sell as quickly as possible before she starts becoming a liability. Plus she is a good, seaworthy, boat and I really don't want her just sitting there, deteriorating.

I realise selling an old boat can be a challenge, so how do I best go about it?
    - get her out of the water quick , clean her bottom and sort any little issues?
    - sell her as is from the water at a knock down price?
    -?
    Any advice would be gratefully received....

Default Re: How to sell a boat quickly?

Ebay?

Give the job to a broker, discuss the value and be prepared to drop your asking price for a quick sale.

But ebay or broker - should I try sorting the boat out first, or sell as is? Or is a broker likely to help sorting it out (for a price of course)?

I am willing (within reason) to drop the asking price as necessary. Selling her is more important than making the best price.
    I am also aware that it if I leave her where she is she will be costing me a fair few thousand come June just for her berth.......

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr J Hackett View Post
    Give the job to a broker, discuss the value and be prepared to drop your asking price for a quick sale.
    +1. I’ve not had a good experience with eBay and selling boats: too many folks bid and then when they win they don’t part with the cash or take the boat. Selling a boat quickly is mostly a matter of getting the price right. I’ve had a mate who couldn’t get his head round the fact that his boat wasn’t worth what he thought he could get for it: took him two and a half years to shift it. On the other hand, another acquaintance set the price on his boat at just about the right level, was prepared to adjust and sold the boat in two weeks....

Which is cheaper, in the water or on the hard? Potential buyers will want it out anyway for survey and it's less likely to get damaged out of the water. I wouldn't bother doing much work but a good clear out and clean must help attract buyers.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham376 View Post
    Which is cheaper, in the water or on the hard? Potential buyers will want it out anyway for survey and it's less likely to get damaged out of the water. I wouldn't bother doing much work but a good clear out and clean must help attract buyers.
    Good question, I assume on the hard will be cheaper but I need to check.

Maybe that is where I should start....

If it is out of the water I am assuming a clean of the hull (and redo the antifouling) will make it more presentable for a buyer?

If you can ensure that the boat is in sail-away condition then I think that helps a lot. So fix things that are necessary for a potential buyer to be able to safely move her, but don't get too carried away on the non essential stuff. Also make sure there is enough basic inventory (anchor, warps, etc) and be prepared to be helpful to the buyer, e.g. lend them charts, pick them up from the airport, etc.
    Moody 39- Deb 33- Wayfarer- Wanderer

When a boat is slow to sell, its not just down to too high an asking price. Its due to lack of attention to detail - tatty interior, scruffy exterior, loads of junk and old rope, a rusty engine etc. Lack of tlc is very obvious.
    If its clean and tidy inside and out, the engine runs sweetly and has had a service and its ready to sail away, you've more chance of a quick sail. Online selling requires lots of good quality photos.

Keep ashore: if you don't you'll quite possibly get people asking for a "test sail". Most of these will never buy the boat.

Clean thoroughly, especially the heads and galley. Get all personal kit off the boat.

Look at adverts for others and set asking price to be at a substantially better condition than others at the same price level, or substantially cheaper than others in the same condition/age. You want anyone looking for a Sadler 29 to buy yours, not another.

Our standard advice to sellers is at https://www.yachtsnet.co.uk/preparation.htm - I'm not suggesting however that we take the boat on brokerage: we now aim to keep listings above the £20,000 mark, and generally Sadler 29s will be well below this level, unless a truly immaculate and late-built one. Your best bet is Apollo Duck or Boats & Outboards, or find a local broker prepared to list her. Take lots of good photos, and be prepared to email them to enquirers, or burn to a CD and post.

If you price under £15,000 you can have a free one photo advert on https://www.yachtsnet.co.uk/classifieds.htm

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast