Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Garmin GPS72 or 72H - blast from the past.

Got it, and know what you mean about transferring routes in NMEA. Sometimes fails due to incompatible route/waypoint naming formats between devices if that helps. Bit odd that Garmin transfer on 73 is not same as 72.
    allGadgets Marine
    www.allgadgets.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCC View Post
    Got it, and know what you mean about transferring routes in NMEA. Sometimes fails due to incompatible route/waypoint naming formats between devices if that helps. Bit odd that Garmin transfer on 73 is not same as 72.
    I suspect that the 73 can send the route the same way as the 72 but my software is not recognising the type of GPS. It is beyond my ken to hack the software, but if I scratched around I could probably find a different method.

I have had a 72 a 76 and a 78.

I am currently using a 73. Why do I persist with kit that will fail after 2 years.

Well I like the interface and it does exactly what I want.
    Monkey patching programmer [retired ]

Two years, really. I have a 72 that's been going for more than 10 years. I had one fail after about eight years, have worn out the keypad on one of a similar age, and had one of the plug pins break off in another - due to carelessness.
    Quote Originally Posted by TQA View Post
    I have had a 72 a 76 and a 78.

I am currently using a 73. Why do I persist with kit that will fail after 2 years.

Well I like the interface and it does exactly what I want.

Quote Originally Posted by James_Calvert View Post
    .................................................. ............

What is it about them that makes them more desirable for you than something with at least a basic chart plotter function say? (Something I don't have installed except on my phone and tablet)
    I don't know about the OP, but I treasure one of these for a single reason: the "dragging anchor alarm" when it goes off keeps going until I stop it. That's why keep GPS 12 in the V-berth cabin when I sleep. All the newer models I know sound the alarm for 30 seconds and then shut up. Not a smart feature at all, especially with the low volume of the sound.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12