Default OOD - Idiots Guide to Running a Club Race Required

I was unsure where to post this but I suspect there may be more club people who have been in this situation before here.

I have OOD duty this weekend and a race it on the agenda, normally there is someone who runs the races but they're away so it'll fall to me. I'm sure there's a guide at the club and possibly someone to help but can anyone either point me in the right direction where I'll find the start/finish procedure, flags/times etc or give me a brief explanation on here? It's been a good 15 years since I last ran a race at my old dinghy club and I don't want to cock it up at the new "big boat" club.

Many thanks in advance

Tom
    Tom, Sundance
    2wheels1keel.com

Default Re: OOD - Idiots Guide to Running a Club Race Required

RRS 26 is your guide.

I don't know if the course materials for RYA Club RO are online?

As awol says, the RRS tell you what you have to do. But start by looking at, or looking for your Notice of Race and Sailing Instructions. They should define what the competitors are expecting.

I would seek advice about race duration, course style, where to send boats from people involved, either competitors or previous ROs. A quick look at previous results to see how long boats typically race for is worthwhile.

Our club would not put you in this position, you always do AOOD first a couple of times at last, thing to remember stay calm and let the racers enjoy themselves, I assume it’s not a series decider or likes?

Also if the club regularly races course examples should be available

Thanks all, RRS26 pointed me in the right direction but believe it or not Wikipedia had a good explanation of what the flags mean. To be honest it's all coming back to me and I'm quite looking forward to seeing what the wind is like and setting a course. I've also spoken to the normal race officer who has said there's info at the club. Unfortunatley I don't live near the club so it'll be on the day which is fine.

Generally racing at the club is very relaxed and there's also a cruise on so there may not even be enough people to race but we'll see.
    Tom, Sundance
    2wheels1keel.com