Default DIY aluminium welding

Actually, a 'cross between soldering and brazing' using aluminium-magnesium Alumifix, according to the US sales blurb. I have some repairs I'd like to make to alloy, and I'm wondering if any competent 'bodger' has experience to share of this material: https://easyweldrods.com/pages/sale?...43231514900036

Or do I just reach for the Isopon again?

Default Re: DIY aluminium welding

I used these, or similar, to weld a broken tiller back on to an outboard. I the motor was user for several years afterwards with no problems.

I tried something like this a few years ago. Lumiweld?
    It was good for some things, but completely failed on other jobs.
    You need a lot of heat to get a sizeable piece of aluminium to 500degC.
    I think that's why one job just didn't work.
    The other made a joint, but cracked.

So I took the work to a man with a TIG welder and all was good...

Sound a bit pricey.. If you wish, I can send over FOC some Eutectic rods, which sound like the same thing. You will need to find some flux though. The instructions on the side of the box are the same about cleaning and heating. I doubt I will ever need them as I have a Mig set up for ally.
    DW

A long time ago when I learned to weld, I was taught mild steel, stainless steel and aluminium welding. The ally was always the most difficult and I admit I never got the hang of it. Unless you’re really good/practised/skilful, the metal simply holes. If you don’t do it lots, I would suggest taking it to someone who does! Probably cheaper and better in the long run. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by KAL View Post
    A long time ago when I learned to weld, I was taught mild steel, stainless steel and aluminium welding. The ally was always the most difficult and I admit I never got the hang of it. Unless you’re really good/practised/skilful, the metal simply holes. If you don’t do it lots, I would suggest taking it to someone who does! Probably cheaper and better in the long run. Good luck.
    I think this is more akin to brazing when you don't melt the parent metal.

That's helpful, guys. I'd not previously heard of 'eutectic low temperature brazing rods'.....

I'd thought to have a couple/handful in my 'bodger shed' or down on the boat so that, with the small gas-powered soldering tool I have - or something with more 'grunt' - I could maybe attempt 'get you home' type repairs to things.... fittings pulled out of boom, cracked sheave carriages..... I also thought of filling small holes left from rivets, self-tappers, etc, in my mast and boom.....

But many thanks, 'DownWest'. Now I know what they're called, and discovered they're quite cheaply available here via Ebay, I wouldn't put you to the trouble of sending any here from La Belle France. Besides, they're probably in Metric and my 'oles will be Imperial.....

i used the hst2000 rods which i believe are the same thing on my somewhat dilapidated window frames and a few other jobs . only issue i found was the colour is very different, strength very good but if aesthetics are important get a proffessional job . i used a maff torch as my camping gas blow torch was not hot enough .